Any repowering ideas for an Athearn GP38-2?

RidgeRunner

I've got one of these that I'm superdetailing (Everything from firecracker antennas to P87 wheelsets!) and I have considered replacing the Athearn motor with something better. Anybody have any ideas? It's going to be used for probably a couple years on DC before I can get a DCC system. I saw a small Sagami motor at my LHS, but I'm afraid it may be too fast for such a locomotive, it was something like a 16x30 round can and turned 15k rpm at 12v. About $25, no flywheels, but the shop also had flywheels that looked like they'd fit. Is this motor ideal, or does anyone have a better idea?

shaygetz

I'm with Blake, A-Line is the way to go and near enough to what you'd want to pay if purchased thru a discount house. Install it with the motor electrically isolated from the frame and DCC will be easy to install at a later date. Kit #90321 is the one you would need.

Russ Bellinis

The A-line motor is a Mashima can motor. I don't know anything about Sagamis, but I can't imagine it being any better than a Mashima.

shaygetz

While the Athearn motor is rugged and dependable, either motor is a step up. I have both Sagami and Mashima and like both though Sagami makes it easier to wire their's up by putting the soldering lugs on the end.

RidgeRunner

I was more worried about the Mashima motor not measuring up to the Sagami. I have an older A-line kit that came with a Sagami flatside motor in a RPP 8-40CW, and it is NICE.

So I guess it's a tossup then. Since the Little Choo Choo Shop has the Sagami and flywheels in stock, I may just pick that badboy up as well as the largest flywheels I can cram on it! That oughta help this "geep creep". ;)

Blake

North West Short Line used to exclusively carry Sigami motors. They started having many quality problems with them, so many that the returns were ridiculous. NWSL no longer carries the Sagimi motors but rather, makes their own. Perhaps the Sagami motors aren't what they used to be.

Edmund

Replacement engines

I saw this topic a little late. But here goes. A while back someone suggested on another forum that Alliance replacement motors were good. I haven't tried them. But price is nice. Here is the website

Alliance Replacement motors.

Anyway I hope this helps.

What I thought was really cool about these was that you could use the Athearn motor mounts to hold the motor in place instead of double sided tape. I have had trouble with that with the A-line replacement motors I tried.

Ted

RidgeRunner

Well, that kit is $31.95, and shipping is probably extra... so it's not really much cheaper than the Sagami + flywheels.

brakie

I would go with the A-line set up.If you are worrying over the current draw of the Athearn motor.try removing that nasty headlight and see what happens.I notice sometimes the current drops for some reason but not always after I remove the headlight bulb..I don't pretend to know why.

Edmund

Replacement Motors for Athrean

Originally posted by RidgeRunner
Well, that kit is $31.95, and shipping is probably extra... so it's not really much cheaper than the Sagami + flywheels.

There is an economy kit for $20.95 where you reuse the Athearn flywheels. That is the kit I was looking at #132. I don't know anything about current draw.

I wish I could remember more about what was stated on them or find the posts on the forum.

Trying to help. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Ted

Russ Bellinis

I have a Trains unlimited (ex Frontrange) gp9 running an Athearn drive with an alliance can motor and Athearn flywheels. It runs too good. I can't run it with anything else. Maybe when our club goes to dcc I can get it to work with other makes. Right now it will start to crawl at a voltage level that is way below Atlas and Kato. If I get the voltage up high enough to get the Atlas or Katos to move, the Alliance is at a high speed speed. When running trains on the modular layout the Athearn drive with the Alliance motor runs as much better than Atlas, Kato, or Stewart, as they do better than stock Athearn.

RidgeRunner

Update:

I got to looking again, and it's not a Sagami as previously thought! It's actually a NWSL branded motor, 16x30mm, double shaft. I'll likely pick it up next time I'm at the hobby shop, as I think a good 5 pole like that would really help this thing purrrrrr.