Any one into live steam?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Livesteam, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Adnams

Adnams New Member

Good RC for live steam

Tomsz - What RC transmitters and receivers are you using? I've moved to the US from the UK and need to install new RC for an Iver (Cheddar) and a Millie (Roundhouse). I've been looking at the Locolinc range but what do people with experience in the US recommend?

2. Adnams

Adnams New Member

Two thumbs up for live steamers

Everyone on this post - Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread but for anyone who'd thinking about live steam I'd say go for it. I'm not a mechanical whizz and I have no trouble with these machines. What's more, if you do have hiccups, the live steam community and the suppliers are very helpful indeed.

A few recommendations on locos (sorry, I only know the 'narrow gauge' types, not the Asters etc.):

The Ruby and similar is fine to start with but also think about the Iver by Cheddar which is more powerful.

A few bucks extra gets you a Roundhouse Millie or similar, and those are really good. There's also a range of similar Accucraft (the Superior and the Caradoc) which are also good - US dealers don't advertise these but you can get them in the US by contacting Accucraft directly.

Also think about the steam powered tram by Locomotion - a UK company distributed in the US by Ken Matticks ( This is a real bargain although you might have to wait a few months.

Then you get to the stage where owning a race horse can be the cheaper option:) Roundhouse, Pearse and the blissful Mike Beeson models are all works of real craftsmanship. Both Cheddar and Accucraft are putting out nice locos slightly cheaper than those like the Accucraft Shay and the Cheddar Samson. (I've seen some great prices on the Shays lately.)

I'm happy to give further info and encouragement. Just get in touch.
  3. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

It depends on were you buy them for the price, but they are usually around $500.00 for a setup to get it running. I like the way they look, but I've heard some people that were upset with the way they run. This may just be the first run though, I'm sure they will get better with time and testing. It is their first live steam engine with that design, so at least they are trying. I still think it will get better.

The radio I use is a Futaba 9 channel radio PPM/PCM. It works well, but you have to change the Freq. to 75Mhz instead of 72Mhz to make it OK for use in the US. This radio was exspensive, but all you need is a 2ch radio from a hobby shop, such as Airtronics,Futaba, or Hitec. They all make great radios for a good price(around $40.00-$60.00.)Airtronics and Hitec are located in CA.I would also recommend micro servos. They come in many sizes and are usually under $30.00 per servo. O, And as for Accucraft's Superior and the Caradoc, They are advertised at US hobby shops. Sorry, they have to be due to Accucraft usually will not sell directly to people in the US, you usually have to go through a dealer. I hope you don't get upset, I just thought you might want to know.

Have a great day;Thank you all for your time,

4. Adnams

Adnams New Member

Thanks for RC info

Tomsz - Thanks for the RC info. Also glad to hear that there are Accucraft dealers in the US that stock the UK-style locos. I'll get exploring.
  5. siderod

siderod Member

Haha! You guys call this Live Steam?! **mocks jokingly**

what i play with is live steam...i got a 1:8 mikado, 1:8 royal scot, 1:8 royal Hudson, 1:3 Auld Reaker Tracton engine and a 1:4 Traction engine of simaler design.

The mikado...10+ feet long, 1000-degree fire, 125PSI tested to 180PSI! WaaaWHOOOO!!

**disclaimer** only joking about the first steam is great, no matter the size
  6. DavRed

DavRed New Member

You call that live steam? I play with 12" to the foot stuff.

Attached Files:

7. Slick

Slick New Member

Hello All, I am Slick and I own two Accucraft Live Steam Rubies. I have recently put a deposit down on Aristocrafts new Live steam Mikado. Along with Live Steam, I run O-Gauge in the garage, mainly older Lionel stuff along with K-Line and MTH. Yeah, I sorta like trains....... New to the group, I will be doing alot of reading what's up befor jumping in with much...... take care, Enjoy!
  8. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

WElcome Slick. :)

I knew someone would make a post about using the real thing. That's some big model ya got there. ;)

Don't mind me.................I'm just green with envy.

TrainClown :D
  9. Slick

Slick New Member

Good Evening Trainclown:

Don't be green with envy, it's hard to get matching shoes...... I've been into the model building scene for many years, 196? or so...... Put a bit of change away now and then and eventually you will be able to purchace a livesteamer also. Don't hesitate from buying "pre-owned" from a reputable dealer, lot's of savings to be had. I have the one "well broke-in" Ruby running on a regular basis, no radio control, uses a Goodall Valve and a larger fuel tank from Cheddar. Long run times........ Presently pulling six LGB Feldbahn 2-axel cars, mix of coaches and goods wagons. I will eventually add larger pistons to her for greater pulling power. The Aristocraft Mikado is a long way off, that won't be ready untill Spring 2005......oh well. That's all for now, Slick.
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

All live steam is great. This is a great hobby to get into. It helps to preserve the past for future generations that do not know how a steam engine operates or how even a diesel locomotive operates. We all have fun doing this and will continue to have fun no matter what size the locomotive is.
  11. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Slick,,, do you go to new jersy live steamers? i just got back from PLS meet this week end, it was great .
  12. Chessie6459

Hey LiveSteam,
    The PLS is a great place to go to when they have their meets. :thumb: I was there back in 2001 and i had a great time, running trains and making new friends. :D I am going to include some photo's from the meet. Hope you like them. LiveSteam, did you get the chance to look at 3/4" trains? If so what did you think of them?

First Pic is me running a PRR E-3 Atlantic

Second Pic is the East Yard

Third Pic is of a 3/4" Gauge K-4sa

Attached Files:

13. Slick

Slick New Member

Livesteam, as of yet I have not been able to make any Live Steam Meets, I'd like to change that. LiveSteamer; How do you post the large photo's thatyou have posted? Great Stuff.......
  14. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Livesteamer.. i have a gas 7 1/4 engine i alomst bought a 3/4 engine too, I also have some Gauge one suff too .i just came back today around 8 it was very nice out there i have been going since i think 1999, where is your club at and do you have gauge one there? and do you know Mike Moore's E-mail adress? he is the one that sets up the potable gauge one track
  15. Chessie6459

Slick, all's i do is go to post reply and go to the bottom of the reply post and click on manage attachments, i make sure i do not exceed the limit of the file size, them photo's came close to the limit size.

LiveSteam, we don't have a main club layout, our members have their own personal tracks that we go to and run. We mostly run 1-1/2" and some members have 1". I don't think anyone has gauge one. I don't think i have ever met him. I will ask some of the Independent Live Steamer Members and see if they know him and if so i will get his email address.

Oh BTW LiveSteam, I have a thread under General Talk that has some pictures of the Live Steam Engines that belong to some of the members in the ILS Club. The thread is on page 5 and is the fourth thread up from the bottom of the page.
  16. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

thats a nice web site, thanks for asking them and if you do find it out please tell me i really need to contact him, do you own any gauge one engines?
  17. Chessie6459

Thank you for the compliment LiveSteam. It took me about a month to get the whole website up and running. No i don't own anyone Gauge One engines, but i am in the planning process of building a 1-1/2" Scale PRR A-5. I don't think anyone in the club owns one. I have emailed my grandfather about Mike Moore and i haven't heard anything back yet, but when i do i will let you know.
  18. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Is your club open to the public? and is this club at some ones home?
  19. Chessie6459

LiveSteam If you know someone in the club you can come with that person and it will not be a problem. No admission to get in and it cost nothing to eat either. So far we have 9 members that have their own tracks and we run our trains June-October at the lastest. The only railroad that is not in operation right now is my grandfathers and that is due to the rebuiding project. We also go out of state to other clubs and run our locomotives. Next year i will post the dates of our meets. As of right now we have no more meets for our club. Hopefully we will have more run dates next year than we had this year.
  20. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

I used to think that driving live steam was a little silly-looking. At least until the new, little, noisy and obnoxious "pocket bikes" began to plague the neighborhood. Now riding on live steam seems almost normal. :)

Any live steamers in Northern New York?