Any one a DJ.. or know how to DJ?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by SpArKeY_STi, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

I want to start DJing for fun. I dont want to 5K technics TT's. I was looking at the DPI Mixmaster thing... is it any good? I just want to mix songs for S&G, and scratch. Not scratch a song... just make my own lil scratch song. Cand the MM do that? Is it good?

Thanks...
  2. Lil_angel

Lil_angel Guest

I use to DJ up in Denver at the Church. I've found that almost every item/system/software out there is pretty good. However, it's not about what's the best to do this or that, it's about what do you want to do with it and how much can you invest into it? If you list for me what it is that you want to do now, what you may what to do later on, how much are you willing to invest, and if you'd be will to do an open track night, I'll help you out all I can.

I may also have some software you might want to take a look at. I'll be in Las Vegas after today till Aug 5th, but when I return we should get together.

Take care SpArKeY.
  3. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Actually i produce drum&bass and have been a dj for hrmmm around 10 years now I guess...

Regardless of what you get, you will end up with technics as they are the standard, however if you want to just play around just make sure and get direct drives no belt driven and if you can at all get one with a quartz drive...

The direct drive is a necessity especially if you are scratching to keep the platter from wobbling, ages and ages ago my first set of turntables where stanton belt drive pos I played with those for about a year and finally broked down and bought a set of mk's had them ever since, I also have a set of the mk3d tech's that I bought about 3 years ago...
  4. Beskone

Beskone Guest

hey! another DnB DJ :) respect! I've been spinning atmospheric / deep DnB for about 5 or 6 years now...

ya, he's totally right - just take the plunge and get some 1200's - you can pick up a set on eBay used for around $500 - well worth it, i love mine - they'll last forever, they're built like freaking tanks

then all you need is a decent mixer, well to start out with you can get just about anything - i learned on a POS Gemini mixer that sounded like poop - then i picked up a new Vestax PVC-170 which is like buttery smooth.

but for sure, start with 1200's you won't regret the inventment, and if you decide you're not into the DJ thing, they'll sell for what you bought them for - they hold their value really well

- Brian
  5. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Cool! im so glad i have support. Here is what i want to do...

Mix. Im sure most of you have heard of Linkin Park... i love their mix CD Reanimate... i want to do cool stuff like that.
    Scratch. I just love making beats to battle to and what not. I try beatboxing... but im not good so i think ill try it on tables
    Just plain play vinyals! My dad has some great Pink Floyd and Van Halen vynals i would like to play.

Thats about it. I kinda like the computer ones... not sure why. I think ill just pick one of those up for $20. And when i feel like i wont damage the vynals or system, go out for a worth while system.

With the direct drive and all that... i totally dont know what your talking about. Lol... these are no drives... they are just MP3 players...

but as i said somewhere else in the forum, my moms getting a arse load of money, all i want is a Vid Camera, a few things for my RC Cars, and starter set of tables...

So i guess ill just pick these up to keep me busy. Right now my life is heckict as hell so i cant really do anything, we are low on money, and out a house for now. But i think ill pick up real tables sometime later... But fair warning, my limit is about $300 MAXX!
  6. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Nice, ive always been into the more hard uk style dark..dillinja,lemon d, andy c(my dj idol) and pretty much anything/anyone off ram records

As much as I hate genre classification dark step, jump tek and even some nice roller ....

I actually, not that I go out much more, went to see shimon,moving fusion,tech itch, ed rush and optical and BSE here locally and man the uk has some raw stuff comming this way soon...gasmask remix...mmmmmmm

So back to the topic on hand, if you more or less just wanting to mix stuff up and get some cuts going just look into getting something like acid for the computer, its good for layering tracks and mixing up your on stuff and use recycle to cut up your beats...

Me personally im a die hard Logic user, but Im more into actually writing a track from scratch, recycle still has alot of benefits but acid has its limitations unless your just recording straight in to cut samples from which its not bad...
  7. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Thank you for helping... just i totally dont know what your really talking about. Im not exactly sure what Cutting and mixing is or what not.

And my DJ idols are DJ Sammy, Shadow, Tiesto, Octigon, Cut Chemist, Kurt, and some others... but i dont take those names as seriously...
  8. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Tiesto is not bad for a progressive house dj, i actually like hime...shadow is well just a strange guy all together, cut chemist have some good talent with them...

Basically think of cutting up a loop like this, in recycle you have a wav file of some sound, in recycle you open this loop up look at the wave file and adjust the tempo/pitch/attack etc etc on the loop and find the section you want and cut that section out.

Then once you have all the sections you want, you then would use some sort of sampler or something like acid to start layering those pieces together.

This is the easiest approach that I can think of, there are many other ways that get more complicated with cutting loops up into midi control files to use in songs etc..
  9. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Ya,iv been reading around on what the DM2 can do, and what those things mean. For around $30... not bad. And if you buy the "Pro Something" software... its a nice set of tables. Some pros accually use it... but if they had to choose, real tables are where its at.

I like the idea of Digital tables like this one because theres less change to scratch the record (i mean the accual vynal... no make scratch beat :roll: ) and you can get ANY song in a moments notice thanks to Kazaa and Limewire. However with the DM2 iv heard its kidna hard to convert them to the format needed... you must use .wav then RA i think... But i have softwear that does that stuff for me... MUSIC MATCH baby!

But i should be ordering my "Tables" (the Mixmaster DM2) in about 2 days...
  10. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Woot! I bought a Mixman DM2 set for $30. I should get it wed or thursday...
  11. AE86 Drifter

AE86 Drifter Guest

long time since i been here like two weeks
    looks like posts are very low in number

but i got some gemini tables and a gemini mixer. it was in a starter kit but i plan on getting some technics if i continue enjoying it. i am just a bedroom dj as of now. i would really like some software to start making some beats and shit like that
    any suggestions on an affordability basis
    thanks aNd it is coOl seeing as we all have a lot more than just rc in common
    i am gonna start taking weekend vacations with my good friend isaac and we are gonna just pick somewhere cool and fly there for a weekend. maybe we could meet a few of yall if we come close thaT WOULD BE AWESOME!!
  12. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

lol... the best mixer program iv heard, seen, and know of shops and stuff useing is FL. FL is Fruity Loops. Dont ask where to get it or anything... i just know my friend has and uses it and makes fairly nice beats.

And ya, that would be cool to see some one i talk to online. then we could drift togeather. Id say come to CO but it kinda sux here. If you dont ski or snowboard your fairly screwd.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.