Any N C&O modelers in the house?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by RidgeRunner, Jul 25, 2003.

1. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

New to this forum, saying hello!
    My current project is a freelanced dead-end branchline representing a fictional WV town.

I'm looking for ideas for turning a Spectrum Consolidation into a G7 or G9 as it would have appeared towards the end of its service life.
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Don't know the difference between a G7 and a Consol so I can't help you there :( , but welcome to the Gauge! :D What part of N.C. are you in??? I'm out by Bryson City (almost in Tenn.). I'm modeling a N-Scale shortline based on the Murphy branch (W.N.C.) of the Southern circa 1968.
  3. Catt

Catt Guest

Hi Jon, welcome to the Gauge and welcome to my forum (well mine and Robin's :D )

Haven't chatted for a long time,what have you been up to?
  4. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I'm not a C&O modeler but I do freelance. Welcome to the gauge.
  5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

I'm currently in the Triad area, but soon moving to Cullowhee. Maybe we can meet up for operating sessions sometime. I have some Southern equipment of that era.

A G7 is a C&O class of Consolidation. There's a few visual differences that need to be addressed before I'll decal it as a C&O unit.

I've been busy! Trying to get a little more done on my layout before I abandon it for a while (going to live in a dorm for a while, don't think layouts and campus housing mix well!)

Thanks for the welcomes!
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

By all means check with me after you get settled in. :)
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Went digging around my reference material, and the best I could find was a left rear 3/4 view of a G9, on a work train. Not enough of the loco to determine what changes needed to be made to the spectrum model.
    Life Like has the Heritage series 0-8-0 in C&O # 362. I haven't been able to locate any pictures of the 3XX series, but suspect they had different tenders than the earlier versions.
    Welcome to the gauge. If you do get a chance to operate on tyson's Nantahala Midland, I know you'll enjoy it. Excellent layout
  8. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

What?! LL is doing that model in N now!? Let me at it! :eek:

BTW, I have lots o pix of the G-consols, but I'm just not sure how much of a stickler for detail I want to be. It will at least take removing the sand dome and replacing it with a smaller one further forward. Then the side walkways don't look right.