Any M.O.W nuts out there ?

KCS

Now my question is. What type of cut levers would be best suited for a 200 ton crane? I bought one in UP silver and swaped all the wheels out to metal and put on orange reflective strips all over it. Now it's time for cut levers, air lines, chains and some small hand tools.

LoudMusic

This is a seriously long wood surface flatbed. Good work!

DSC00215.jpg

slagpot

LoudMusic said:
This is a seriously long wood surface flatbed. Good work!

Thanks....The decking was made from coffee stir sticks bathed in alcohol and indian ink. After they dry I cut them down the center with a straight edge blade. Cut one the width of the flat car or gondola....and presto flat car decking. The only problem with scratch building decking such as this method, is you have to cut so many.

You'll have to find a place that sells these stir sticks, I got mine from a gas station. I paid three bucks for 1000 stir sticks, still have a crap load of them.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

bloyseboy

nice dozers slagpot

i really like that side boom and the 8 on the same car there. did you buy those two peices as is? loooks great man.

slagpot

bloyseboy said:
i really like that side boom and the 8 on the same car there. did you buy those two peices as is? loooks great man.

Hi yaz bloyseboy,

The cat sideboom was made from a die-cast toy bulldozer, bought from wal-mart. I scratch built the boom, counter weight ect. The D8 wanna be dozer is also a toy dozer, I finnished another dozer last night by adding a ripper and ROPS too. With a total of four MOW dozers now.

I would have liked to use a first gear model as a base for these dozers but at $30.00 to $40.00 clams a pop for these, I had to use toy dozers.

Custom finnishes make HO scale cat dozers and you can buy the side-boom ,counter weight and all from them, should you be interested.

I'm glad you like them.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

tomd81

Patrick:

Very nice work on the Southern MoW cars!

What do you know about the lead and drone type track cars that were built by Southern in their Coster shops to carry track panels. I am starting to make a couple of them. Do you have any photos of these cars. There is one in the Southern Color Guide, and I saw some in Spencer in 1996.

There were two types of these cars:

Lead 991126 – 991127
The lead cars are used to lower the track panels. A photo of one is at the bottom right.

Drone 991101 - 991125
The drone car carry the track panels, and pass them to the lead car to be placed on the ground.

From the September 1966 Ties Magazine

Completed track panels move three at a time on powered roller chains into a line of special cars. Each car holds nine to ten panels. Panels already loaded are hydraulically lifted to allow the next set of panels to be moved in underneath. When the end car is loaded, power roller chains in the floor of the car can be activated to move the entire load of panels into the next car. These special cars are also equipped with devices to lower the track panels into place on the ground at the installation site.

I am looking for photos of the lead cars, and end shots of both types of cars.

The following photos are all from Ties Magazine.

trackpanelcoll3.jpg
http://www.garlic.com/~tomd/railforums/trackpanelcoll3.jpg

Thanks

Tom

bloyseboy

Thanks pat

i think i like the idea of bashing the wal mart stuff better. your sideboom looks impressive. i would like to see the ripper cat too. looks like i need to make a trip wal-mart. i'm just getting going in ths stuff and i bought a bunch of track on ebay and now i'm waiting for it so i'm starting to do some painting and get soem stuff ready, i work in construction in northern B.C for the winters and i wanted a construction scene. you gave me some good idea's with your M.O.Ws. i was going to use lowbeds. but why not cars.
thanks again

shaygetz

Wayne, Patrick, David...great stuff:thumb:

Gotta love those pics of the snap track train, Tom...:thumb:

Here's a couple of mine...the dozer and backhoe are highly modified toys. The cab of the backhoe was a special piece. I built the cab from clear styrene after scribing the windows into it. Once assembled, I painted the frame in black then Dul-Coted it. The flats are modified Tycos with the original decks scarred up with a razor saw then weathered. The rotary plow is an MDC/Roundhouse 3-in-1 kitbasher kit---the kind where they gave you a box of parts and an idea---you supplied the rest. The biffy is a resin casting. I made the master and Phillip cranked some out for me. The speeder is scratchbuilt from flat styrene and some N scale wheels.

Attachments

• MOW1.jpg
    MOW1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 156
  • MOW2.jpg
    MOW2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 156
  • MOW3.jpg
    MOW3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 156
  • MOW4.jpg
    MOW4.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 161

slagpot

shaygetz said:

Here's a couple of mine...the dozer and backhoe are highly modified toys. The cab of the backhoe was a special piece. I built the cab from clear styrene after scribing the windows into it. Once assembled, I painted the frame in black then Dul-Coted it. The flats are modified Tycos with the original decks scarred up with a razor saw then weathered. The rotary plow is an MDC/Roundhouse 3-in-1 kitbasher kit---the kind where they gave you a box of parts and an idea---you supplied the rest. The biffy is a resin casting. I made the master and Phillip cranked some out for me. The speeder is scratchbuilt from flat styrene and some N scale wheels.

Great work there Bob!!!! Like the dozer loaded on the depressed center flat, reminds me of UP's wreck dozer. Like the speeder too.....I like them all.

Patrick

slagpot

tomd81 said:
Patrick:

Very nice work on the Southern MoW cars!

What do you know about the lead and drone type track cars that were built by Southern in their Coster shops to carry track panels. I am starting to make a couple of them. Do you have any photos of these cars. There is one in the Southern Color Guide, and I saw some in Spencer in 1996.

There were two types of these cars:

Lead 991126 – 991127
The lead cars are used to lower the track panels. A photo of one is at the bottom right.

Drone 991101 - 991125
The drone car carry the track panels, and pass them to the lead car to be placed on the ground.

From the September 1966 Ties Magazine

Completed track panels move three at a time on powered roller chains into a line of special cars. Each car holds nine to ten panels. Panels already loaded are hydraulically lifted to allow the next set of panels to be moved in underneath. When the end car is loaded, power roller chains in the floor of the car can be activated to move the entire load of panels into the next car. These special cars are also equipped with devices to lower the track panels into place on the ground at the installation site.

I am looking for photos of the lead cars, and end shots of both types of cars.

The following photos are all from Ties Magazine.

trackpanelcoll3.jpg

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

How have you been ? Haven't talked to you in a while. Tom I've never seen mow cars like these, I'm impressed. Modeling these is a huge undertaking, good luck on this build Tom. I'll look around the net ,to see what I can find on these cars.

Man you always find the neatest stuff!!!!

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

tomd81

Patrick:

Before I found photos of the big flats and schnabel cars, I started to shoot photos of MoW equipment, alot of this stuff is neat. Southern developed alot of thier own unique equipment.

I have been thinking about this for a while. I originally started a couple of years ago, with trying to modify a gon, but it did not work. In my thinking, I think that I have it figured out. I am heading to the local hobby shop today, for some Evergreen strip styrene that I do not have. I have only found two photos online, one on Joe Shaw's web page and the other on railpictures.net. I did see a couple of these lined up at Spencer when I was there in 1996.

tp.jpg

Next I want to do a couple of Southern turnout cars. These operate in pairs, one for the wide end and one for the short end of the switch.

tr_nw_trackcar.jpg

Many more Southern MoW photos on my web page at http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/mow/mow.html
The photos of the Kress carriers are neat, great work!

Tom

doctorwayne

shaygetz said:

Nice MoW equipment, Bob. That plow, in particular, looks like it would fit right into my modelling era, since parts of the layout are set in southern Ontario's "snowbelt". I also like the open baggage door on the combine on the next track in the second shot: nice touch.

Wayne

shaygetz

Thanks, guys.

I can't take a whole lot of credit for the baggage door, Wayne. That belongs to a club member's train, a complete Presidents series special issue, the "George Washington". For a Class 3 road in an area that sees less than 6 inches of snow a year, my road is well equipped to battle any flurries with the rotary plow, a Jordan spreader and a Russell wedge plow to boot.:thumb:

slagpot

bloyseboy said:
i think i like the idea of bashing the wal mart stuff better. your sideboom looks impressive. i would like to see the ripper cat too. looks like i need to make a trip wal-mart. i'm just getting going in ths stuff and i bought a bunch of track on ebay and now i'm waiting for it so i'm starting to do some painting and get soem stuff ready, i work in construction in northern B.C for the winters and i wanted a construction scene. you gave me some good idea's with your M.O.Ws. i was going to use lowbeds. but why not cars.
thanks again

Hello Bloyseboy,

I finnished up the cat dozer with ROPS,ripper and a new blade. The only problem with showing pictures of this tonight is my dog. You see I'm the proud owner of a very weird Jack Russel terrier, he flips out over bright lights such as a camera flash. So it will be tomorrow night till I can post pictures.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

bloyseboy

thanks man. i can't wait. i went to our local walmart and here was nothing good. i'm from a small town on pei so it's hard to find anything good. we do however have a guy who is really into the hobby. he sharpens skates and he has his shop full of ho stuff. he sells it for a little bit over cost. so that part rocks. he has a few boly volvo rock trucks i want to snag . they are the same ones i run up north. $20 each though. but i've never seem them before.

slagpot

bloyseboy said:
thanks again

Hi bloyseboy,

Took me way to long to get back to yaz, regarding this Caterpillar D7 bulldozer with ripper. But I finnished it and here are the photos of all the MOW wreck dozers.

You can see the kit-bashed / scratch buit/ imagineered/wanna-be Caterpillar D7 dozer....top right hand corner. I added the dozer blade from a 1970's era hotwheels D11 bulldozer. The ripper was made for junk parts laying around and the hydraulic hoses are copper wire pieces.

P.S the Bobcat is way out of scale,but it was cheap at Wal-mart so I picked it up.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

MOWdozertesttrack001.jpg