Any ISS paper model build?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by edkeffel, May 8, 2007.

1. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

I would like to see pictures of a complete ISS paper model from someone here. I would like to see if someone here has printed the aluminum shaped Destiny and Unity exteriors in real aluminized paper - not in common card or soft paper.

If there are already pictures of an ISS in these forums, please, send me to the right thread.

2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Junior, I was building the ISS from Dr. Fortezza, but I only got built Destiny, Unity and Zarya. I did not used any other paper than cardstock. I will update photos of what I have.

Now, let me tell you that Alfonso Moreno, the designer of all the Shuttle Configurations ( will have the ISS in its actual configuration, as well as the ISS payloads for each Shuttle. Maybe Alfonso can upload photos of what he has. This is a project for this year. More information here, look for AXM almost at the end on the thread:
  3. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

I will visit Alfonso´s site. Please let me know when you update your pictures.
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I'll build sir Alfonso's & Dr. Fortezza's ISS (combined) for an article for FineScale Modeler Magazine soon :twisted:
  5. Hans Christian

Hey, that reminds me... The ISS was my first model whan I got serious with card modeling (that would be around 5 years ago)... I built a 1/300 scale model based on NASA's scale plans available at their Human Spaceflight site (check out their ISS gallery, the link should be there), and combining it with modules from Dr. Raimondo's ISS, plus the Soyuz & the Shuttle (which was also thrown away...)

well, some of the components were missing (thrown away by my folks because they thought it was trash, and they were almost finished... darn them), but all of the components of the ISS that is confirmed to be flown is still intact, I just need to remove some of them to make it exactly like the final planned config as of April '06

but still, I'd like to have it to be like the original planned config, I just need to build the remaining components (including those that were thrown away) and 2 Soyuz, 1 Progress, & a Shuttle... :-D
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Sorry for no updates on my photos. But this week is crazy.
    Anyway, I'll have them soon posted here.
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Here they are.

8. Gibs3692

Gibs3692 New Member

9. Hans Christian

10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Very nice job, Gerardo!

I am looking forward to seeing Milenio's design; if it's anything like his awesome collection of shuttles and payloads, we're all in for a real treat!

Hans, I would love to see your build too...this is yet another in my to be built pile...seems that pile grows larger every week.:grin:

11. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hey, Jim, thanks for the kind words.

I think you meant AXM's designs, but I understand it, since I've been trying to help Alfonso on building more Shuttles, and I've been uploading photos of those.

For the ISS, I think he's still in the designs.
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Yes, right you are...sorry about that AXM!
    I am amazed at how many and how quickly he is making one model design after another...and now the ISS is on the drawing board.

As I said before, we are truly lucky to have so many wonderfully talented model designers coming up with so many superb models.

13. Hans Christian

Thoughts about STS-117

Well finally, after months of delay thanks to that darned hailstorm, STS-117 finally going to launch this thursday... and about time too... I've been waiting for too long to see the ISS having the S3/S4 Truss segment and solar arrays... :-D

for some reason, I really like the Integrated truss assembly of the station... :-D

plus 2 of my fav crews are going to fly there; Commander Rick Sturckow and MS Patrick Forrester... why you may ask?

because these 2 were included in NGC's feature documentary called "Rocket Men of Mission 105", where they are with commander Scott Horowitz and MC Daniel Barry (who participated in Survivor, I Think)... They were fun to watch training, and Sturckow has a good sense of humor :-D
  14. Hans Christian

Well here are some photos of my 1/300 scale(ish) ISS model...

This is my first official card model, started assembly about 5 years ago... built from the free NASA scale model plans and bits and pieces (and whole modules) from the MARSCenter ISS model...

Like I've mentioned before, I plan this to be like the original planned final config... but if I remove the CAM, MPLM, Transhab, CRV, DSM and the research and life support modules, relocate the cupola from node 1 to 3, and pirs from its position on the UDM to Zvezda's zenith port, and add the Docking Cargo Module, robot arms and MBS/MSS, ATV, 2 Soyuz capsules and a progress, it will represent the final planned config by 2010... but what the heck, I want it to be on the original config... just a question of when I'll add the missing parts... :-D

and I like to tell I'm really itching to see sir Alfonso's ISS :-D
  15. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi to all,

Hans, that ISS model of yours looks great. I know you guys are waiting for mine, but things are unexpected sometimes. Family, my kids, my work, but specially my wife. She doesn't like this hobby of mine. So, without venting my problems here, I have to look for time when to design and build my models. That explains why I take too long.
    Have patience with me guys, after the Crawler and MLP you'll have the ISS mission by mission. My deadline to complete this ISS is for the end of the year.
    Guys, from time to time I'll put some free stuff.

Take care all, and thanks for you comments about my Shuttle Crawler.

16. Hans Christian

Hi sir!!! :-D

While many of us are really excited about your model, you don't need to rush things, yes, family is the top priority, period. :-D

We can wait for a little longer... :-D

I have also too much to do here than just building models, and since I'm now on my final year in college, things are starting to get really hectic... so I'm settling to watching updates on the real thing during my free time... I still build models when I have the chance, but usually its for someone else (usually its a gift for somebody's birthday or any special ocassion... :-D )

so sir, no need to hurry up the pace, after all, your collection would still make a shuttle fan drool over for a long time... and with the addition of your Crawler and soon-to-be-finished MLP, you will only make us more excited :-D

regards to the folks there!!! :-D

BTW, I plan to buy Revell's 1/144 ISS kit to be used for comparison with yours, as part of the FSM article I'll be writing about your and Dr. Fortezza's model (not to sound evil but, I only intend to tell how plastic models of the ISS suck compared to what you two all-around good guys are offering... :twisted: )
  17. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Thats a great model of hte ISS Hans you think you could send me a copy of the model? jks:p anyways i'm very anxious to getting my hands on sir Alfonso's Iss model...hope it comes sometimes soon! :)
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Alfonso didn't mention it, but there are already at least 2 sections for the ISS. Just look under International Space Station link on his web page.

Hans, that wicked goal of your will be amazing... to compare the ISS pla**tic vs paper. I'll be looking forward on that very close. And you just gave me a sick idea :)twisted:): build 1/33 airplane pla**tic models VS. paper models too.
    MHUUUAAAAAA!!!!! :twisted:
  19. Hans Christian

Thanks!!! :-D

Um, actually, being the first card model project that I've done, I don't have any electronic copy to offer right now, because most of the model's modules were done by pencil and ruler, using the NASA scale model package available for free on their Human Spaceflight site ( - go to the ISS gallery) (apart from the pieces that came from the MARSCenter ISS kit (, namely, Pressurized Mating Adapters (PMA) 1,2 & 3, Zarya, Zvezda, Unity, Z-1 Truss, P-6 Truss and its solar panels and Destiny [the Quest Airlock wasn't available yet, back when I was still building it about 5 years ago, but now its online])

But I'll try to make one when I find some time :-D
  20. Hans Christian

Hehehe!!! :twisted:

I've now acquired the Revell kit (not very cheap I'm afraid)...

Before I went to the hobby shop yesterday, I did some reading on the May '03 issue of FSM about the article of the ISS and how to model it... The revell kit was one of the featured models (back then only 3 kits were available for the space station)...

After buying it, I did some parts survey, and yes, I see many detail errors on the kit (considering the kit was released before many of the pieces were tossed into orbit), and comparing to the card kits of Dr. Fortezza, and the upcoming one from sir Alfonso, it was no comparison in terms of detail...

Card models have already suffered (more than) enough trash talk, time to fight back, BIG TIME :twisted: