Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by thegoonman, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegoonman

thegoonman New Member

I have to do a final project in manufacting with the welding subject. I was thinking of making a car stand, any ideas for this or anything else that would be good to make for me. I drive 1/8 scale buggies, and they tend to spend a bit of time in the repair room.
  2. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

Making a stand can be good the reason being is that you can put in out set trays to hold small parts instead of having them scattered loose. Now when you talk welding can you specify what type, meaning -Arc/stick -Arc/wirefed -Gas/steelwire -Gas/brazing -Heliarc. This may be a lot to toss at you but it will tell me the type of material I can best recommend for the project. Personally if I had a choice aluminum would be my choice but if you don't know how to Heliarc weld it is out of reach. When you do decide to do this make sure you lay out good simple plans,an upside down reinforced "U" shape with fairly deep trays welded to the sides is good. Don't forget to fix some kind of end stops to keep your buggy from sliding off. Good luck and if you have any Questions ask me! P.S. I've worked in my uncles welding shop (off&on) since 1983. Have fun!
  3. thegoonman

thegoonman New Member

I weld with arc stick and wire fed. I was thing to just make a square base with a multi hieght top. Then justa platform for the car to be placed on. I think it would be hard to put sides on it becasue i will be using several different cars, maybe just a bungy cord or something for that. Turning the stand would also be hard. I will put compartments on the base of it for screws and whatever. The multi hieght would just be a tube inside a tube and a bolt to select the height
  4. 432gone

432gone New Member

yes that would be a good idea with jus the square base plus the tube to change the height of it. it would also be helpful to have those compartments on the bottom for any loose pieces, nuts, etc. rite back if u need any pointers or tips
  5. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

I like the simple design you came up with but what concerns me is if you get the base too small it could become unstable with a larger vehicle on it. Example is that it would probably be great for a RC10GT but if you put something like a Kyosho Mad Force or a Dirt Demon on it it coult tip when bumped. Just try to design in the worst case scenario and you should be O.K.. You said you would be using Stick or wire to arc weld,just remember it is easier to weld thinner material with wirefeed. Keeping the material light will also make it easier to handle and transport. A easy way to put a threaded lock on your pipe is to drill a hole in the pipe just over the size of the bolt you're using then put one nut on the bolt you are going to use leaving enough space to stick it in the pipe and put another nut on the back side. Then tighten the two nuts against each other with the pipe in between and weld the nut on the outside to the pipe,instant threaded lockdown,then remove the inside nut and bolt. Check the bolt for weld spatter and use another if it does or fully clean all the spatter off the one you have. Welding a large washer bent 90 DEG. onto the top of the bolt will give you a good wing to twist for tension lockdown. Good thinking,keep it simple and have fun. Any more Questions please ask and I will try to help if I can.:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.