Any good BARNS out there?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I am in need of a good barn in O scale. I have looked at the MTH red barn, while it is nice it just doesn't seem to be the right one. Does anyone know of any good places to go to for farm barns in O scale?

I'm not crafty enough to kit bash one.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I don't think it's still being made, but Ertl made a barn as part of its Farm Country line of toys that was popular with O scalers. I see seven of them on eBay right now. Some have starting bids of $9.99 and I saw a couple with buy-it-nows in the $20 neighborhood.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I have one of the Ertl barns. The 1/64 scale is closer to 1/48 ('O' gauge). It is about 3 times the size of the plasticville barn. The kit comes with many extra for the 20 bucks.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

HUM, I never thought of ERTL.
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

ERTL was bought out I think.
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

In any event I noticed a Variety Store not far from the hospital. As luck would have it they had a Plasticville Dairy Barn for $11.50. So I bought it since it stated O scale and was made by Bachman.

Now the Barn doesn’t look so bad, though much smaller than I would like the design is fairly nice complete with a silo. However the scale just doesn’t look right. In fact it just looks too small. The problem I had with the MTH Barn was that it looks much too large.

[FONT=&quot]I guess when it comes to O I’m just going to have live with things being a tad out of scale. I just don’t have the time and energy to start researching all the different products when it comes to buildings. :)
  7. mooreway

mooreway Member

If you are interested I am about ready to start production on this barn as a laser cut kit in N and Ho Scale, I could easily scale it up to O scale if you wanted, or draw you one up from a picture you may have in mind. Send me a private email if you are interested.