Any Free online Model Building Courses?

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by edkeffel, Mar 14, 2007.

1. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

I wonder if there are online model building courses for newbies in Architectural Modeling.
    Not only in paper model, but Architecture medelling as a whole.

2. papertrain

papertrain Member

I have been designing homes for my whole answer to your question tho I am not sure if you would find anything for free................I could help guide as to materials, standards and what works and what does not work...I have done quite a few architectural models as well as card models,
  3. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Thanks, papertrain.

I´ve done some architectural models, and I was invited to manage a course of Architecture Modelling for architects en engineers in my hometown. I know how to built them, but I am not sure of how elaborate the class features, the number of classes, the programmatic features, and so on.

junior (edkeffel)
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

It is my opinion, that modeling Architecture is very similar to construction, specifically, framing. Once you understand how something was built, it becomes easy to model after.

As far as free are already here!
  5. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

I need however, a more specific, professionally oriented, guideline for a course. I will try to elaborate a class/teaching schedule of my own.
    I think that model makers like we here at are more prepared than most of the regular scale model builders in the Architectural market. We pay more attention to details than them!
    My opinion is: Who can do models like ours in *paper*, can do anything in any kind of materials!

Am I right?
  6. thewoodengraver

I would say no for this reason.
    Most card modelers consider cardstock as two dimensional. It really is three dimensional, but we don't really consider or use it that way. It is more like a " skin" that " represents" building elements.

Of course, this depends on the personal method of design.

However, if you were to build tiny, this would all change.

Have I completely confused you yet? lol
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Hmmm.... I would say no as well. Modelling in other materials requires a completely different skill set. As Phil says, paper is two dimensional (for all intents and purposes) which creates interesting problems constructing 3D structures. However, other materials which are 3D require shaping and finishing skills that paper models don't require. Other materials require painting skills which paper models generally don't. I also make working model steam engines and locomotives, which require engineering skills.

I really don't think it's fair to say that paper modellers pay more attention to detail the other modellers do either. I make all models from all sorts of materials, paper, wood, metal, resin (even pl*st*c). I find that I can get the best detail from mutli-media models. I.e. Using the most appropraite material for the desired part. Paper is simply not suited to compund curves, whereas plastic, resin or even wood is. However, you can't beat card for thin flat sheets. Have a look round some model shows or museum displays. You will see models in all materials with astounding detail.

I hope nobody thinks I'm running down paper models - far from it - some of the paper models I see on this forum are exhibition winners. Paper modelling is not better or worse than other forms of modelling, just different. It has it's own set of challenges, but doesn't have some of the challenges that other materials have.

OK - I've probably ranted on for far too long - time to get off the soap box, and hand it back to a more deserving preacher :oops:
  8. thewoodengraver

I believe you said it very well Mark.
  9. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

>> I thik I should re-think my earlier post.

I am not a paper modeler in the exact, strict , sense of the word, since I use paper, cardboard and other materials as well - to get to the correct shapes.

I like to use foam, wood, plastic and anything that can simulate the shape I need for a given model.

What I was trying to say is that, since paper allows you to built mainly 2D shapes, the challenge to built 3D shapes is bigger for a paper modeler. And since paper doesnt accept all kinds of painting, unless you use special techinques que make paper shielded or adapted, it is indeed a bigger challenge.

For example, I simply hate to built aircraft and missile nosecones with paper - they get often non-circular; The same happens with pipes and tubing. I prefer to use other materiails.

But I think that the paper modeler must have a much more sense of detail, since this kind of modelin method generaly poses more criticism. A paper modeler must cope with the general idea (wrong) the paper is a less noble material.

I think that every´s member here has the objective of make the espectator say : "Oh, this is a paper model??? Wow, it seems plastic!"

Of course, any kind of scale modeling has its challenges and difficulties, and since I manage to master (or at least I try to) anykind of modeling method, I see the paper modeling as a very, very defying one.