Any experience with ... ?

Partsman

The time has come for me to purchase about a dozen switches for my small layout.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience ordering from Udisco in Montreal.

Their prices seem to be about 50 percent less than my LHS.[about $10CDN ($7USF) for Atlas manual switches in N gauge]

interurban

Hi Partsman, they silence is golden except when you want some advice.:D :D :D
No I have not ordered from these guys. BUT I will not buy Atlas switches again!
WE used them on our Model and found them lacking regarding duribility:(
Give me PECO anytime and to hell with the cost.
I may touch a nerve here (sorry) but I have to support my LHS they are great to us and I need them there.:D
Best of luck.;)

Partsman

I appreciate the information, Chris. Thanks.

I will try the Atlas switches anyhow as my little pike is a minor hobby at present. When it becomes an obsession, :) probably on the very next one I build, I may take a look at what Peco has to offer.

I try to buy most things from the LHS but who among us can resist a bargain. :)

Tileguy

Did somebody say Bargain!!!:D

Hmm lets see i have 63 turnouts at 8 bucks a piece thats 504.00
At Peco 's price that would be close to a grand.
I can get 3 LL 2-8-8-2's on sale for the differance.Or Buy an entire DCC system with about 7-8 decoders.If I can replace a bad order turnout in under 15 minutes and have a couple extra's on hand.I think i will save the bucks and invest in something else.I have a couple Peco's.I really dont see that they are that much better personally.But hey ,i m not as experianced as some of you out there and have never been involved in a club that has hundreds of turnouts so i could be wrong :)

interurban

Hi Tileguy,
We bought Atlas and found that the rails came away from the molded road bed, not just on one. Very disapointed!
Peco (which I use on my own layout) Will last. I have pulled them up many a time to change the my layout and they are still working fine.;)
And the cost is the same.:p (in Canada)

rsn48

From Vancouver, I will echo the vote for Peco.

I have bought a lot of Peco turnouts "used" from one of the LHS's out here. I would attach alligator clippers to the track when I got home and tested that they worked. My LHS will take them back if I return them quickly.

To clean them up quickly, I put them on the high shelf in the dishwasher and send them through a cycle, that does a good job since the soap is slightly abrasive. Yes they have gone through the drying cycle as well in the dishwasher.

Partsman

I said I would let you know regarding Udisco Ltd.

I received my order of Atlas N manual turnouts this morning, less than 48 hours after it was placed.

It was well packaged and everything appears to be in good order. Total cost for the 12 turnouts was $122.71 CDN including shipping, handling and taxes.

They are not exclusively railroading, but have a good number of manufacturers available.