antique stores

matt fisher

hi everybody
yesterday me and my friend went to this antique store because i was told that they had trains there , anyways we went i looked and found a original tyco train set that looked terriable then i found a g gauge steam trains that you put around your cristmas tree it's the same kind you buy at orchard supply hardware around xmas time, then the guy tells me i have more in those boxes and me and my buddy looked he found only one santa fe athern f7a powered my buddy wanted it so bad ,but the guy i wont sell it seperate , he wanted get this $225 dollars for a buch of old bachman tyco ho ,i told him that your never gonna sell this ,this is all junk , i told guy i should know because i've been i model trains for 25 years they guy says to me you know were my door is , i replied yeah but i was'nt leaving with out my buddy and, my told me there was a guy in a black shirt watching us real carefully , , the point of this story is dont buy any railroad memborila or modeltrains because they think they know more than you, if it sells dirt cheap then it's not real thing , if it's the real deal then the price go way up.
matt

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Matt -

There appear to be two prices for everything, including model railroad stuff. One is the price that you would pay as a modeller - to take it home, rework it, bash it, weather it, and run it. The other price is that which the "collector" will pay. Guess which is higher, and which is more descriminating about condition... ;) :D

Andrew

brakie

Matt Some of my best deals for odd engines and fixer uppers has been :
1.Under the front of dealer's tables at Train Shows.
2.Yard Sales.
3.Antique store
4. Estate auctions.
I am talking Athearn,Atlas and other quality equipment and hard to find items.:D
There is a lot of "gold" out there if you know where to look well below bargain basement prices.
Don't give up the search.:thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

The problem as I see it is there are suckers out there that will pay those kind of prices for what we call junk.
I just can't find them.