ANSWER - PT 109 Build

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
I've had this kit for awhile. However I have been reluctant to start it based on my unpleasant experiences with ANSWER aircraft kits.

Attachments

• 109 book.jpg
    109 book.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 586

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Hull Formers

Here are the formers cut out and assembled.
The formers were short all down one side. I built them up with scrap card stock, then sanded to shape.

Attachments

• 109 hull rib parts.jpg
    109 hull rib parts.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 109 hull ribs.jpg
    109 hull ribs.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 148

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Hull Plates

The hull plates started out very well. However by the time I got to the stem there were significant alignment problems and I had to use some of the scrap colour pieces to cover the stem. (The similarity between this boat and the problems I have experienced with ANSWER aircraft kits is starting to show).

Attachments

• 109 hull side.jpg
    109 hull side.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 109 bow 01.jpg
    109 bow 01.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 191

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Just a thought if you start from the bow and then from the stern it's easier to fix any fitting problems in the middle usually a straight cut.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
barry said:
Just a thought if you start from the bow and then from the stern it's easier to fix any fitting problems in the middle usually a straight cut.

Thanks, that makes sense I'll try it next time. I planned to fill all the gaps etc with modelling putty, sand and repaint the hull. So the alignment problems only result in more sanding. :roll:

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Well, I decided to stick with the paper hull. I redesigned the pieces so they fit (bottom piece is now a single part). It turned out pretty good.

In between trial and error test fits I have been working on the gun tubs and finished the carley float.

Attachments

• 109 hull r2-1.jpg
    109 hull r2-1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 109 f-bits 001.jpg
    109 f-bits 001.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 180

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Well I, for one, think your cleaned-up hull came out looking pretty good. It's nice to see some creative problem solving rewarded, isn't it?

Kudos,

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
cmdrted said:
Excellant build! The Revell version of this kit was one of the 1st I saved up for when I was a kid.

I built the Revell kit as a kid as well. This kit has much more detail. I doubt that I will blow this one up with a fire cracker. That was the eventual fate of the plastic kit. LOL

I'll post pix as I progress. I have about six builds on the go. I switch from one to another as frustration dictates. :roll:

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I think that was the fate of mine too! The other plan about having multiprojects on the go sounds pretty good. There are tons of times when frustration stalls me out, I'll have to try your strategy! Thanks for the pics.

tino

Mar 17, 2004
Ponte de Lima Portugal
Hi, I am also building this model as you can see in the two german foruns Kartonist.de and kartonbau.de.
I am more avanced in the build and I almost dont have problems until now. For me this is a great model. No problem.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
tino said:
Hi, I am also building this model as you can see in the two german foruns Kartonist.de and kartonbau.de.
I am more avanced in the build and I almost dont have problems until now. For me this is a great model. No problem.

tino - could you provide a direct link to your build? Thanks . . .

I measured the hull bottom pieces from my insecurance scan of the parts pages. The port & stbd sides were not exactly symetrical. The variance was small but resulted in a noticeable misalignment. This could be a printing problem, who knows. I agree, it is a great model.