ANSWER - PT 109 Build

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by B-Manic, Feb 19, 2007.

1. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I've had this kit for awhile. However I have been reluctant to start it based on my unpleasant experiences with ANSWER aircraft kits.

Attached Files:

2. B-Manic

Hull Formers

Here are the formers cut out and assembled.
    The formers were short all down one side. I built them up with scrap card stock, then sanded to shape.

Attached Files:

3. B-Manic

Hull Plates

The hull plates started out very well. However by the time I got to the stem there were significant alignment problems and I had to use some of the scrap colour pieces to cover the stem. (The similarity between this boat and the problems I have experienced with ANSWER aircraft kits is starting to show).

Attached Files:

4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Well, despite the fitting problems, it is looking really good! You must be doing something right.:)

Keep at it, mate, this looks like it will be a very nice model when done.

5. barry

barry Active Member

Just a thought if you start from the bow and then from the stern it's easier to fix any fitting problems in the middle usually a straight cut.
  6. B-Manic

Thanks, that makes sense I'll try it next time. I planned to fill all the gaps etc with modelling putty, sand and repaint the hull. So the alignment problems only result in more sanding. :roll:
  7. B-Manic

Well, I decided to stick with the paper hull. I redesigned the pieces so they fit (bottom piece is now a single part). It turned out pretty good.

In between trial and error test fits I have been working on the gun tubs and finished the carley float.

Attached Files:

8. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Well I, for one, think your cleaned-up hull came out looking pretty good. It's nice to see some creative problem solving rewarded, isn't it?

9. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

I agree. The hull may have thrown you a curve intially, but you got an A+ from me for a great save. That looks pretty clean to me.
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Looks really good! Amazing how much effort we will put into an area that is rarely seen afterwards.

By the way, did this kit happen to come with an engraved Coconut? lol
  11. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great job on the hull! And the little ittys look great too! Thanks for the pics!

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Excellant build! The Revell version of this kit was one of the 1st I saved up for when I was a kid.
  13. B-Manic

I built the Revell kit as a kid as well. This kit has much more detail. I doubt that I will blow this one up with a fire cracker. That was the eventual fate of the plastic kit. LOL

I'll post pix as I progress. I have about six builds on the go. I switch from one to another as frustration dictates. :roll:
  14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I think that was the fate of mine too! The other plan about having multiprojects on the go sounds pretty good. There are tons of times when frustration stalls me out, I'll have to try your strategy! Thanks for the pics.
  15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Vote me in on your save of the hull!!
    That is a GREAT job!!
    Model building is a great way of taking BIG challenges and solving them in miniature, using thought and patience.

Keep on buildin', mate!!

16. tino

tino Member

Hi, I am also building this model as you can see in the two german foruns and
    I am more avanced in the build and I almost dont have problems until now. For me this is a great model. No problem.
  17. B-Manic

tino - could you provide a direct link to your build? Thanks . . .

I measured the hull bottom pieces from my insecurance scan of the parts pages. The port & stbd sides were not exactly symetrical. The variance was small but resulted in a noticeable misalignment. This could be a printing problem, who knows. I agree, it is a great model.
  18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

19. B-Manic

Thanks for the many comments on the hull.

The link to tino's build is appreciated, it looks GOOD
  20. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Carry on! You are doing a great job!
    And remember: the Party is vatchink you!

Your neighbour