Answer Nakajima J8N1 Kikka

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Jan 15, 2007.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I have three kids out of which two are in the "dangerous" range...
    Models are kept on the shelf and nothing gets left behind on the desk when I had to step away - still remember what happened to my Zero....
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Hmmm, put an electric fence around your models. :D
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Not much done on Saturday - I'm getting to the little pieces so it's going to be slow.
    A bit messy here, I know. I will try to do something about it :oops:
    I did a test run of the Japanese screw punch and let me tell you guys this is the best thing to cut small holes! I already placed an order to have full assortment of bits too.

Attached Files:

4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, the screw punch is THE tool for small holes. Kinda hurts the wallet though. Oh well, it' sjust money, we can print more...

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Tool was well worth the price. With care it'll last forever. the bits seem to stay sharp for hundreds of cuts so far, definetly an investment buy that will last.
  7. David H

David H Member

I have had a quicki look for a UK supplier but no luck yet... I think £30-£40 would be a very reasonable price for such a fantastic tool.

Off to look for suppliers of book binding tools.

8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

On Friday I was finally able to get back to the model.
    leg on the right was built exactly as designed (minus the long wire sticking out), the one on the right was modified to better the apperance a bit.
    Wire was bent exactly as in the template and overall strut length is correct.
    The only explanation for the strange look of the strut is that the part around the wheel is oversized and appears to be from a completely different aircraft....
    Also, there is nothing in the kit that should be glued on the inside of the strut eventhough it will be visible above the wheel.

Attached Files:

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And here Kikka standing on its own legs.
    I will still add some extra weight to the nose to make sure that it will not tip. Goal for today - wheel covers :grin:

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Coming along nicely! Landing gear is the bane of my existence! I bend and shape and tweak those damn wires and it still ends up bulging the paper gear somewhere! Most of the time I bite the bullet and use a straight wire and pierce the wheel on the edge. I color the upper part of any bits of wire dark black so it can't easily be seen. Nice job Mike!
  12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Landing gear is not my favorite as well...
    It's especially difficult to bend two pieces of wire in exactly the same way.

Ok, progress report for Saturday. Wheel covers complete and ready for installation. They are nicely done in 3D and hopefully they will fit the struts without a glitch.

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Mike the door look great! I use BBs that you can get at walmart. They are small and can be fed thru a tiny cut in a wheel bay, you can stir them in alittle glue or put some in a syringe and squirt it in the hole you feed them thru and it'll keep them from rattleing. Anyways, great job, it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  14. shrike

shrike Guest

I forgot nose weight on NOBI's Flora and had to resort to filling the wheel itself with lead. I think it was the only time I was happy to have a hollow wheel<G>
  15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Kikka is standing firmly on her own legs. Eventhough it wasn't really necessary, I added extra nut to the nose to make sure that it will not tip to the tail.
    Wheel covers installed - don't even bother with cutting those little thingies securing them to the struts. They seem to be from a completely different model as they are in the wrong places and actually prevent you from mounting the covers on the struts. Just another annoying feature in this kit...
    Nose tip installed. When together smoothly but it is a bit oversized which shows on the connection with 2nd segment.
    All doodads in place (real pain to make those little tubes under the cockpit...), only things remaining are antenna mast and wire and the wings.

Attached Files:

16. barry

barry Active Member

You sure that's cardboard !!!!

17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great looking bird, Michael.

I like the clean details you are putting on.
  18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

It is done....
    I already finished her but I had this feeling that something is wrong. Just I put the plane on the shelf it hit me - position lights are reversed. Easy to fix, but leaves this aftertaste...

More photos after I have a chance to do proper photoshoot.

Attached Files:

19. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Looks great, Michael. A very interesting aircraft.

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Nobody else would have known a thing about the lights!

Really awesome build Michael! You have such CLEAN builds!