Another scoring tool

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Ron, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi all

I was rooting around at the local surplus store and came across this great pointy device in with the medical instruments. It's stainless steel, needle sharp on one end and has this strange loop thingy on the other. Any ideas what this was originally used for? Do we really want to know? :)

Anyways, it's perfect for scoring with a great weight and feel to it
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Dandy dental pick..., but the loop at the end reminds me of a large size needle with a good grip to be used while drenched in something slippery. Might be something a Vet would use..,

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ulp.... I feel a bit sick......

Great tool though, Ron! Nice find!

Tim P

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy guys,

I have no clue what that is lol. looks like a knitting needle on steroids.
    I have been using two easily found household items for scoring, one doubles for preforations depending on the amount of pressure placed on it.
    The first one is a small pizza cutter that is dull, when pressure is applied on paper sitting on a soft matting, it will just about crease the paper in one roll. The other is a sewing "preforation" tool, used in sewing patterns, it looks like a mini pizza cutter, but leave small pin size holes in the paper, i also took one and filed off the "points" on the wheel.
    I use both in conjuction with a stainless steel straightedge ruler, works great.
    Anyway, I was just glad your your "instrument" wasnt one that them little gray ppl use when they come take the neighbors late at night here in arkansas, you know, the ppl who also see elvis and are on tv describing the tornadoes.
    Have a good evening all, its 12:19 am and I got to work in an hour.

5. silverw

silverw Member