Another Question for designers

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by murphyaa, Feb 25, 2007.

1. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I have a question for any designers who want to answer:

Is it common to be designing several models at the same time? I recently checked over my "in process" folder and was shocked to find 4 models in various stages, from an F-16XL for Fiddlersgreen, a complete redraw of the Colonial Viper, processing another glider model for Fiddlersgreen, and a transformable Optimus Prime. Now I've been pushed to do models of Union Pacific's Challenger, Big Boy and DD40X locomotives. Am I normal, or have I bitten off too much?
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think it's perfectly alright to do that, especially if you get bored of one design, you instantly switch to the next one.
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Normal? lol... What everyone else IS, and your are NOT!
    *Have you bitten off too much?... Never!!!

If having more than one model in development at the same time isn't normal, then you'd have to seat me in the aBnOrMaL stalls. Personal preference I guess, I've got the attention span of a cockroach, so it only takes an interesting pic or comment to ramp up the list ~ Oooo... Shinny! Just counting projects that are in the 3D stages or have had (parts) test built, I would have to say from a quick skim of the DIRs I've got 14+ YEP dumb! The only BIG drawback is having to refresh yourself on the progress, if there's to big a time lapse between sessions.

A question I'd like to add.. how many designers have had (multiple? ) projects come to a screeching halt, thanks to a small design/build issue? A lot of subjects on my list have been parked thanks to that, just have to wait for the inspiration to solve the problem.

Continue on murphyaa! Working on one project may give you an interesting idea for others..

Diagnosis = NORMAL!
  4. barry

barry Active Member

multiple 3ds

I have far too many on the go and yes far too many are at the screeching halt stage because what you thought was the simple bit is driving you round the twist. Bits like the range finder tower on Starling, the American style whaler on Spruance etc etc etc.................

Plus as always the call of the next one or or ....................
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

If it's not normal park me right in the middle of the abnormal bleachers with everyone else. Truth be told I just started a new project last night. I think I'll keep it under wraps for awhile, and I really do need to finish that B-25.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I'm not normal either...but, I have several on the drawing board I am working on.
    This one is complicated, so I work on it until frustrated, then design a toy.
    This one still needs that "perfect" texture I have not found yet.
    This one and that one, need to be reworked.
    That one, needs to be repainted.
    This one just makes me livid.

I go with my motivation and strength at any given moment. I do NOT lock myself in to finishing what I started BEFORE I can move on because I know I WILL finish eventually. Remove ALL of your restraints, you may be happier!
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I wish I had only 4 models in process! Yes, I think it is perfectly normal, Aaron. The only thing you have to watch for is not to forget what the problems you were having with a given design were when you go back to it (design notes help greatly here). Bitten off too much? Not yet. Maybe:) , but don't we all? Glad to hear your looking into UP's biggest. Don't forget SteamCad as a reference for the Big Boy and Challenger. They're in my large pile of unfinished stuff as well, and based on Larry Murcheson's drawings. DD-40AX is on my list too, but not started.

Gearz, yes! I have several that have been pushed aside due to seemingly insurmountable problems. (Making the blasted Chig bomber buildable, for one thing!)

Scott K.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Welcome to Butterflyitis Anonymous....

My name is Tim, and...... I...... I can't stay focused for more than 10 minutes!

There, I've said it!

Well done Tim... etc etc....

There is no known cure.

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Normal? Define normal. The bottle said Abby something......

The files for my Mil -12 still gather dust, the Mogami still cries out for attention, and the Hustler fuselage is in the third iteration. Are we all nuts, or it it the outside world that is three bricks shy of a load?
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow! Mel Brooks references! Wow, this forum has everything! :grin:
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Pheeewww... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with Multiple Model Mayhem.. syndrome...

Scott ~ You can't trust those pesky Chigs, I'm on the same bus with the CVR ~ *design notes !! I like that idea, especially since I have a bad habit of just test building parts. ~ "what was this bit from again?"

Tim ~ lol.. you definitely need a watch that suits your life style!

Attached Files:

12. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

My 'in progress' designs outnumber my 'completed' designs 15 to 14. Although, I'm already planning redo's to half of my early designs so maybe the score is really 22 to 7...
  13. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

yes, about a dozen to do and at least another dozen to re-do, not to mention a couple dozen which could use updated directions (new, universal format). there is no light at the end of the tunnel...
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

I'd say it's perfectly normal. The only question you really need to ask yourself is - "is it working"? I find if I get too many (more than 3 or 4) on the go then nothing ever gets finished, so I've learned to limit myself to 3, and I don't start another until one gets done. Even at that it still takes ages because I like to build models in between (and hang out on, and take on tutorial threads, and, and... and what were those other things I was just thinking about? Dang! I hate when that happens...