Another question about Geeps (GP-7)

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I seem to be coming up short on my research...

What is the difference between Phase I and Phase II? What years were these available/phased out? When did dynamic brakes become available?

I want to model 1952, but there is a very limited availability of N scale GP-7s. Atlas seems to be the only manufacturer, and the undecorated locos (I want to apply my own road's paint scheme) easiest to get are Phase II w/ dynamic brakes. Would I still be within my time period w/ this engine?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the phase II's would have been brand new in 1952. If you bump your date up to 1955, the Gp 9's would be coming out, and everything would fit. As far as when they stopped using them, BNSF is still using gp7's and 9's.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
First and foremost to EMD and the railroads there are no such animals as a phase 1 or 2 geep.There was minor production phases but,in all cases the GP7 of 1948 look like the last geep 7 made in 1954.When Dick Dilworth design the first GP7 it was devoid of any fancy gadgets including a amp meter!However..When the railroads started ordering the GP7 they requested many items to include dynamic brakes,amp meters etc..A GP7 can still be found on some short lines but,was phase out by many major railroads in the 80s.However some roads like the BNSF still uses rebuilt GP7s..

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Thanks for the help guys! :thumb:

After doing even more digging, I found that phases are more or less a railfan term. Phase I (for any locomotive) is typically a "first run" of production. Often times, engineering and design changes alter the basic appearance of the engine...such as grill covers or horn locations. This new appearance would be designated as Phase II. From what I can tell, the difference between a GP-7 and a GP-9 is largely electrical/wiring changes and a few cosmetic changes. It's for the most part, the same locomotive.

For my application, the difference between Phase I and II doesn't mean anything. Even though my road is fictional, I want it to be realistic. I didn't want to be running a railroad circa 1952 with an engine that wasn't available until 1960. As for dynamic brakes, I found those were an option on the GP-7 in my time period, so I'm safe there as well.

I've ordered an undecorated Atlas GP-7 (Phase I) w/ Dynamic Brakes. This will be the first engine for the Wauseon & Norwalk Railroad.