Another plan

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Here's my latest try- and the first two from my last post. Lower side of the image is the front, upper is against the slope of the ceiling. HO scale, and yes those are 15" R loops. Less than ideal I know, but all my rolling stock is short (40' or less) and seem to operate fine on my mock-up. My GP-9 will push 14 cars through the loop with no problem. Which do you like?

Attachments

• Layout1jpg.jpg
    Layout1jpg.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Layout2jpg.jpg
    Layout2jpg.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Layout4jpg.jpg
    Layout4jpg.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 245

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi SAL,

Space considerations being a reality, one does what one can! :) Glad to hear the 15 inch radius curves are workable because nothing kills the joy more than frequent derailments. Your space with the sloping ceiling does offer some unique challenges. As you know from your other thread I'm not a big fan of reverse loops so I vote for the third plan. Hmmmmm, since the wall slopes by the upper part of your plan have you considered placing your sidings and spurs on the lower part instead and placing buildings in between them and the mainline running against the wall to hide it to take care of a difficult scenic challenge? Just musing...
Ralph

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Sal,
My choice would be the bottom one, more room for scenics later on. :thumb:

Shamus

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Well...

Eliminating the reverse loop does simplify wiring... But then you have to use your 0-5-0 switcher to reverse trains.

I do like the third layout design too.... But you need to have some prototypical justification for the added mainline curves...

How about one of these? The second one gives you a longer passing-siding/double-mainline. but of course they both contain reverse loops:

Attachments

• Layout5tg.jpg
    Layout5tg.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 212
  • Layout6tg.jpg
    Layout6tg.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 214

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
SAL Comet said:
Russ, It's a old (80's?) Bachmann, I got at a yard sale, in a box with a bunch of old tyco cars and track.

If it is an old Bachmann, it will have "talgo" trucks, where the couplers swivel with the trucks rather than being body mounted. If you try to do any switching or pushing cars around a curve, you will probably have difficulties with derailing. With a 15 inch radius, probably the biggest locomotive with body mounted couplers that you could use would be a sw. You might keep the 15 inch radius turn back curves to allow you to do some continuous running, but I would consider eliminating the yard in favor of more industries. That narrow a layout is more comfortable doing switching operations in my opinion.