Another noob!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Savion, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savion

Savion New Member

Hello to all! :wave:

I've been a long time lurker and I've collected a number of paper model files over the last few years... however, I've only barely started to begin to work with any of the files I've got. I've worked with several of the SF faming-scale ones from Germ's World, and worked on bits and pieces here and there. I started -and stopped, and looking again now with some of the wonderful Independance War models and I'm going to re-start the work I began a couple of years ago on a PatCom and an Oakland class freighter.

I'm still collecting some of the very basic "how to's" of working with paper models; it's something I've never really done before but I have to say that some of these models are astounding in their details! :eek:

I'll be around looking at different things - you guys and gals are just amazing with what you do! :thumb:
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome aboard! We all started out with easy stuff so dont worry about that. I put my first few together with a stapler :) What have you built so far? We always love pics!
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Yea... pics!!! Please don't be afraid to show what you have done ;)
  4. Savion

Savion New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sadly, I've actually done very little to completion so far. A couple of years ago, I did the Germ's World Space Colony and the Space Station - and the Space Station fell apart! :eek: I've also completed a couple of Independence Wars Cargo Pods (one each of both versions). I consider those as "test" builds. Oh! Almost forgot... a Borg Cube, which also slowly came apart. I think my choice of glue and/or technique is really lacking here.

Underway is a small gaming-scale TARDIS, In spite of it's relative simplicity, it's both easy to misalign and because of my inexperience in working with paper models, finding a method and/or glue that will work quickly enough to hold the join edges together until they set!

Also underway- an Independence War PATCOM (to which I've mislaid the parts already assembled!) and cutting out an IW1 Oakland cargo ship. I moved some months ago and I still haven't found where some of my printouts ended up, except that they're "somewhere"!

Until I have something worth showing... there won't be too many pics! I also spend a lot of time with plastic modeling and resin kits as well. Most of my modeling - in any medium - is "in progress" stuff. :rolleyes: (as anyone who knows me can attest to!) Still, I have more ambition now than I've had in the past so it should be more likely I'll have something going together in the upcoming weeks/months!
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use Aileens tacky glue in the gold bottle - has been great for me! Even standard elmers applied thinly with a toothpick works well :) dont get the washable school glue stuff.....
  6. swingerbone

swingerbone New Member

noob here as well

glad to be here and awaiting all the great info availible
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.