another newbie...

coachC

I probably should have posted this somewhere else but my first-ever layout will be in N-scale. However, my question is about painting freight cars and locomotives with an airbrush. Is acrylic okay to use or should a solvent based paint be used for painting the rolling stock? I will post more details about my layout ideas later when I know more about what I want to do. I do know I want to come up with my own imagined shortline with it's own color scheme. I've been reading on this forum for about two weeks and have been planning my layout since November. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

abutt

Am old enough to have used every kind of paint there is and I favour acrylics because of the ease of clean-up, especially with my airbrush equipment. My son, however, a master modeller, prefers enamels for his model cars. I think for the high gloss one can get with enamels. I use Tamiya flats in the airbrush for rolling stock and engines, but prefer the craft-type acryllics for structures. They're also way cheaper. I use Delta brand for those.

Allan

ddavidv

I have used both, and have been extremely disappointed in the acrylic paint I used. Now, maybe different brands are better; I used Badger paints. I found they have horrible coverage and are really 'runny'. The high spots take several coats to cover.
Solvent based Floquil paints work like a dream for me, but cleanup is a major task every time. :rolleyes:
I have not tried any other acrylic brands, so if someone has a worthy suggestion I'd love to hear it.

abutt

I have tried several kinds of acrylics, particularly in regards to thinning for the airbrush. I've settled on Tamiya, using their brand of thinner, which I find better than any other thinner I've used. I think the clean up, especially with airbrush is a major factor for fast and easy airbrush work. I do a lot of aircraft modelling which can be complicated.

Allan

roch

:wave:
Hello,
I use oil paints and small brushes or q-tips. It is a pain to clean up but I like the way it looks.

roch