Another Newb with questions...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by smullen, Oct 18, 2006.

1. smullen

smullen New Member

I'm new to the forum and new to model Trains as well...

I've always been interested in Model Trains, but never really got into it...

HO, seems to be the scale I'm most interested in as it seems to be the most popular and most easy to come by...
    I guess for simplicity I'll start with an 4'x8' size layout and build a bench for it to sit on and then I may grow it to be a really large "L"... I'd like to make it go from one room in the basement to another...

I'd like to build a nice layout with a small town, a few buildings, maybe a factory, a tunnel or two and maybe some type of Silver or Gold Mine as I'm into Collecting coins and PMs...

I'd like to be able to run more than one train at a time too... Either dual lower tracks or maybe an upper and lowwer...

Also, I think a water feature such as a River or a lake, if I can make it look right, not like a glob of Resin or Epoxy...

A couple of questions I have are:
    What kind of setup should I look at 1st? A Complete kit type thing or part it together with various tracks, controller/Power, Engine, Cars, accessories, etc..

Also, is there a site that has examples of layouts maybe listed by size (like 4x8)??? I thought I saw mentions of them, but never saw the links...

Lastly is there a page with a F.A.Q. or list of keywords that one should know when talking about trains, tracks, and power setups/controllers???

Thanks for reading this... Seems to be a really cool site, tons of info and really friendly people...
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Welcome Aboard, smullen :) You may find a lot of information (Including model railroad slang) at teh NMRA site :)

That stands for National Model Railroad Association. You don't have to join, to look around the web site.

Have fun and ask any questions you like.. :) I'm sure one of our HO Modelers will be by shortly to help you on your way :)
  3. JAyers

JAyers Member

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welome to The Gauge:wave:
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge, smullen.:wave: If you have a hobbyshop nearby that deals in trains, check out their book section. There are several books available on trackplanning that show examples of different layout sizes, and there are lots of other books that cover other aspects of model railroading. For everything else, there's the Gauge.:thumb:

6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Glad you could join us! You're getting some good information here already!
  7. wickman

wickman Member

Hi Smullen
    I just had a flash back with what your saying HO, more than one train mountains tunnels and then I turn my head to THE TRAIN ROOM .
    Go for it Smullen dive in and live the dream :wave:
  8. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Howdy and welcome. On my site I have links to tens of places with pictures and also how tos that should help you find what you want.
    Enjoy and read, read, read.
    Try the library for free books and sites that offer free info as well.
    Welcome again:)
  9. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Welcome to The Gauge! :wave:

I have a few books that feature 4x8 HO layouts, and I'm sure you'd be able to find something similar. These were my grandfather's, and are pretty old. From what I remember, 4x8 is a fairly popular size for you shouldn't have any problems with your research.

My own bookmarks cater to N scale, but if you do a Google search for 4x8 HO layout, you're bound to get pointed in the right direction.