Another lurker crawls out of the wood pile...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Kugelfang, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Hello all,

After spending a few days reading this site I thought I'd introduce myself.

<stands up shyly in front of crowd>
    Hello, my name's Jeff and I'm a carder wannabe...

Actually, it's funny how things go around in circles. A few years ago I developed an interest in card modelling. I thought the PC was the ideal tool for this and started looking around. This led me, not to card modelling, but to computer 3D modelling for flight and sailing simultors. You can see most of my models at But I did make an early attempt at designing card models (see the far from perfect attached *.gz file--attached for critique more than any other reason). Now things have come round again and my interest in card modelling is returning. I've got oodles of planes and boats I want to design. I imagine designing will give me a lot more pleasure than building. At least, that's how it worked with my simulator models. But, I've also found a lot free models on the web to get my feet wet. One must walk before run, no?

I think my foray into 3D modelling has give me some skills that can be useful in card modelling. I've been using Wings3D and Ultimate Unwrap to create models and figure there must be a way to use these tools in designing card models. I read Gil's entries on using UU to 'unfold' a model and am interested to see if he's got anything further to add to that topic.

Also, I'm also a Linux user and would be interested to know if there are any other penguinophiles here. If so, how's your knowledge regarding Linux printer drivers? I've got some real questions for you!

Well, that's about all there is. Howdy folks, and I really, really love the Pfalz D.III in the banner!

[edit] Well, I can't get my poor little AV7 file to upload so try this link : [/edit]
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Jeff! You'll find plenty of kindred spirits in this place! I too dabbled in flight sim modelling, but CFS3 and Il2 were just too complex for my free time budget! I did this one for CFS2, but never finished it....

That flight sim you are using looks interesting; yet another distraction!

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the little tank! How about some Mark IVs and Whippets to go with it!

3. barry

barry Active Member

welcome to never never land interesting site you've got

4. Ron

Ron Member

Welcome to the forums :) I love the work you've done in 3d. I wish I had the ability to model aircraft as you do because that would definitely translate into 100's of WW1 birds to build :) About Linux....
    I've messed with it over the years with limited amounts of success. The last distro I played with was Fedora Core 1. Now that 2 was just released I might venture that way again. If I could just get used to 'The Gimp' and find a good vector program rivalling Corel Draw, I think I'd do the switch.
    Now that USB scanners are no longer an issue, I'm slowly losing the excuses I once had. Let me know if you find out anything with the printer drivers. I get confused with the umpteen zillion print servers out there. CUPS seems to be the one that I managed to get working the best.

Anyways...glad you made it out of the woodpile!

5. Horus

Horus Member

Hi Jeff and Welcome
    I just peeked at your site and I really like your Phoenix D1 - Lovely.
    I'll visit again later.
    I'm a bit of a Linux head myself, and I even won a Penguin from Suse.
    I've played with the GIMP, QCAD and a few distros, ranging from the ubiqutous Redhat, Mandrake and Suse to the one disk distros, Debian and Peanut.
    Epson printers seem to work best for me. I had an OKI, Xerox and Lexmark, none of which I could get to work satisfactorily. I got the Z52 working in Star Office but not the GIMP with Mandrake 8.0.
    Eventually I got set with an Epson C70 and Suse Professional 7.1, but I still had problems with GIMP. Consequently, Winblows XP now has fiefdem on my hard drive.
    Now that Kernel 2.6 is out, I'll probably reorganise my hard drive and go dual boot again and test things out. Feel free to contact me off list if you want to swap Linux stories.

Have a lot of fun,

"Ich bin das ubergeek!"
  6. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Thanks for the welcome, guys. It's always nice to get feedback on the site and the models.

Tim--yeah, sim models take a long time. Funny thing is... I always spend more time on the textures than making the models. Like card modelling will be any different? Right. Is that a Hawker Sea Fury you were working on? Nice! Both Micro Flight and Virtual Sailor are fun programs. And Ilan Papini (the author) is very responsive to his users. All in all, my involvement with his sims was quite enjoyable.

Ron/Marcus re: Linux. Right now I'm using Suse 9.0 Pro with KDE as my desktop. For the most part I've been thrilled with it (though I am thinking about trying a Gentoo install). It was only when I went to print out a paper model that I discovered some issues with the printer. The ink just seems to be really, really heavy on the printout. In fact, it soaked through some 67# cardstock! That was through CUPS. So, I was looking for a specific driver for my HP 820Cse Deskjet but so far no joy. HP doesn't provide one but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere. I was tinkering with the ideal of getting a new priinter so maybe I'll look into the Epsons. I did eventually get a model prined out via Windows but that was an experince for a different thread. Maybe if things free up this weekend I can start work on it. I can see it now: "Travails of a n00bie".

The GIMP is a little tricky to get one's head wrapped around but little by little I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks again,

7. Ajax

Ajax Member

Welcome to the board, Jeff!

I've found the people here to be a very friendly and knowledgeable group who are always willing to help where they can. And that's a great website you've put together. I really enjoyed looking at your model of the Olympia! :D

8. Ziga

Ziga Member

Hello Jeff,

I don't know what's wrong, but I can't get to your page. The MSIE always says the server is down. Is there something wrong or is it the d**n XP?

Best regards,
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yes, Sea Fury it is. My favourite aircraft, I think.... I really should dig out the files and try to 'paper-model' it! Amongst all the other projects and distractions!

I had a look at your site, some very nice models there, and now I am downloading the MF demo.... Another distraction! Oh, to be a idiot and spend all my time watching TV soap operas!!

10. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

Hi Kaz--

the hosting company did upgrade the kernel on the server on Friday so it may be that you just hit it at the wrong time. Try again, and be sure that IE is set to check the page each time. Sometimes it will just keep pulling the error message from cache each time you go to a site. (Silly, silly browser!)

Not all idiots spend their time watching soaps. Trust me, I know this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.