Another little depot kit - just finished!

Arlaghan

Here's the second (out of three) laser cut kits that I have assembled for my mini 2' x 4' layout. Not sure where they will go yet, but I wanted to try my hand at a few of these. This one, even though it has less details than the Blair Line kit, had more parts to put together and the roof shingles was some serious TEDIOUS WORK! :D

Attachments

• house-kit.jpg
    house-kit.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 246

Arlaghan

The kit is called "Springfield Depot" and is made by American Model Builders. It's in N scale and is Kit #638. It cost me about $24 at the LHS.

jawatkins

Nide depot. What color is it? In the chat room it looked red but on this thread it looks reddish brown. I love the roof too. I couldn't see that detail last night. I accidently got somewhat the same effect on my train depot. I had painted it and Glen sprayed it with Dull Kote and it gave it this old, weathered look. Talk about screwing up and getting it right.

You did a great job.

Arlaghan

Thanks everyone!

Judy, can see how it might look reddish. The walls themselves are painted with Testor's "Wood" color (somewhat orange-yellow-brown-ish) and the roof is a combination of: Base coat of "Leather" with a black wash and gray and white drybrush.

shamus

Registered Member
Very very nice indeed, looks like these new kits are excellent craftmanship. A big step from the old plastic ones from not so long ago.

Shamus

jon-monon

It does look tedius and it does look great! I had a lazar kit, but I sold it on e-bay for waaaaaaay more than I paid for it, so I never got to build it. I sure was impressed by it's detail, and by that of your depot. GREAT WORK!

Cinnibar

Your Station

Arl,

Really nice looking station! I like your paint scheme, it pops out the trim detail nicely. I built the AMB 9-Mile Inn....great kit. Your right they don’t fall together but compared to the old days when kits were punched out with very dull dies these things are a giant leap. I especially like the “sticky back”, layered window frames. Nice job and I look forward to seeing it on your layout.

Tileguy

Very Nice Arl!! I cant believe youve finished 2 before ive finished my Haydenton Depot(you wouldnt believe the troubles i'm having with this kit.Quality Craft Kit,not much quality to it however with the exception of the window castings and detail parts)The wood is warped pretty bad.I may have to rebuild this using Basswood and start over using the pieces for patterns.Its a nice design as its a covered Depot with a nice long front.Dave Frary did the original and theres an article in MRC from 1975 that describes building it.Thank god because the instruction sheet that came with it isnt much better than fire starter material.Next time i 'm thinking laser cut :D