Another Lancaster for UK skies

Z

Zathros

O.k., that's just too darn bittersweet. They have built this as a tribute to their 19 ear old older brother who was shot down and killed in it. Damn.

I'm always torn as to whether these planes should fly or not. It is priceless. It is theirs and they can do whatever they please, but it would be such a shame to see it crash but such a site to see fly. It would be too much if any of them died flying this aircraft.

I have worked on many aircraft (under the tutelage of a qualified A.I., A&P, technically I was apprenticing). I have helped restore vintage, and maintain modern aircraft. I have seen that almost anything can go wrong. A very complicated system.

Great story. What brave men who flew those missions. I hope the brothers have the best of luck in whatever they endeavor. :)

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Here's a link to their museum http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/
there is quite a bit about the Just Jane,their hopes for her and the reason for her.
Their brother was actually in a Halifax when he was lost but they are even rarer beasts.
Last year a monument to the 55,753 men lost in Bomber Command,one of them my uncle with another uncle shot down and taken POW,was finally unveiled in London another flying Lancaster will be just perfect. http://www.bombercommandmemorial.co.uk/

Z

Zathros

You Brits really dug in and hung in there. It's too bad America did not have a military to help your out earlier, but we did show up. When I was in England, I think everyone I met had been affected by the hideous war.

These planes are far more sacred to your people than most could imagine. I followed so many links about those guys. It was very moving. I hope it all pans out great. :)

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
[YOUTUBE]4qugN3stTbU[/YOUTUBE]
The City of Lincoln says hi to her sister,a little taste of things to come

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
It is a shame that there are so few of these warbirds flying today. On this side of the blue water, we have restorers that have also done a great job in the restoration of WW2 birds, "Confederate Air Force". It is a thrill to go to an air show and see vintage aircraft that are still flying, nothing sounds better than the sound of prop engines revving up for a take off.

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
The States has Kermit Weeks who seems determined to single handedly return every type to the air,the Fantasy of Flight museum seems to be growing daily with some exciting projects including a Lancaster although that is some time off.His Facebook page is well worth subscribing to.He has a Tempest V as well!!

paulhbell

Sep 23, 2009
2 Lancasters flying in formation would be wondeful.

This is my photo of 'the city of lincoln' from Waddington air show 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
She is a pretty girl! great picture Paul.I regret not having a camera the day one of the most perfect pictures was presented to me as The City of Lincoln flew low round Rochester Castle.I've seen her fly with B17 Sally B and a Mosquito and I think once with a Shackleton to see her and Just Jane in the air together would be a dream come true.

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
You Brits really dug in and hung in there. It's too bad America did not have a military to help your out earlier, but we did show up. When I was in England, I think everyone I met had been affected by the hideous war.

These planes are far more sacred to your people than most could imagine. I followed so many links about those guys. It was very moving. I hope it all pans out great. :)

These are some pictures of my Aunts taken during the Battle of Britain in the Kent seaside town of Deal as you can see they took a real hammering but it was actually quite light in comparison to other areas.I have a map of the bombing and shelling of Dover,Hellfire Corner. which not only had bombers to deal with but long range guns and the German Navy. When you grow up with people that went through it all you tend to take on a feeling of the pride that was felt for the guys that gave it back to them,and the Lancaster is a very pretty girl.

Attachments

• Deal1.jpg
    Deal1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 6
  • deal2.jpg
    deal2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Deal6.jpg
    Deal6.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
  • Deal11.jpg
    Deal11.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
While we wait for news on Just Jane's journey back to the air and the excavation of the Burma Spitfires I thought I would pass on some other aviation news,Kermit Weeks of Flights of Fantasy Florida has just Purchased the Sikorsky S-43 of Howard Huges for the museum,another fine flying boat for his collection

Attachments

• 148913_431849850217433_491426608_n.jpg
    148913_431849850217433_491426608_n.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 252035_431849966884088_1956908356_n.jpg
    252035_431849966884088_1956908356_n.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 9

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
yeah I saw they had found a crate and it was full of water which has stopped them identifying the contents,the team still seem very optimistic though.

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Rumours keep emerging like this,I remember there was one about 4 crated Lancasters found buried in Cornwall but nothing ever came of it.The closest so far has been a load of crated Harley Davidson's they keep turning up kit buried for the UK resistance in case of invasion in the UK so who knows they might find something elsewhere.At the same time as the 4 Lancs in Cornwall there were rumours of 8 in crates in Russia,this is a lot more likely as a lot of kit was sent over for use and evaluation,quite a bit going astray there's at least one Hawker Typhoon over there waiting for me to find her!