Another K&I Expansion Plan

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
OK, here's another idea I had for expanding my N scale K&I RR.
Keep in mind this is still strictly in the "drawing board" stages, & most likely will be for some time.
This is a walk-in, L-shaped plan, designed to fit in a corner, running 6' along the top wall, & 5' along the wall on the left.
The benchwork is 3' wide at each end, & has a 12" minimun curve radius.
The layout could function as a self-contained unit, with continuous running, & switching capabilities, but I also featured a junction with my current layout, the Four Sisters Branch, so the two could be operated together.
I labled the vertical leg, on the left as a "town", but this area could just as easily function as a mine, logging area, quarry, or anything else requiring rail service.
The horizontal leg at the top of the plan, is simply designed to be a scenic loop, featuring some mountain-type scenery, a river crossing, & a bridge crossing over the lower RR lines. The branchline runs along the very top of the plan...it would dissapear into a cut, or tunnel, & exit the layout at the upper right, on its way to the Four Sisters industrial area.
The track plan is simplicity in the extreme...a folded figure-8, which probably seems a little too "cute" for some people, but I think some good scenic treatment would make up for some of that.
The entire layout, including the aisleway, only takes up about 30 square ft., which is smaller than the standard 4x8.
Let me know what you think...I welcome all coments, & critisisms.

BTW - Sorry about the lousy artwork...I don't have any of that nifty track planning software! :eek:

Attachments

• k&i exp2.jpg
    k&i exp2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 393

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Well I guess I'll be one of the first to wear out my welcome (been looking for something to do since we can't pick on Rory's plan anymore) :D . I like the way you have to run all the way to the lower left from the current layout (the more distance from point A to point B the better). Have you considered putting a mountain where the river is and starting the river at the farthest point that you walk into and run it up to the far left corner? It might be hard to hide the start of the river where it is at now. All in all though it's a nice plan as is. :cool:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah, Tyson,
Moving the river would be a cinch, & none of this is "carved in stone" anyway...
Maybe it could start in the hills up in the upper left corner, go under the low-level tracks, & run along the facia on the right side of the walk-in...?
I'm getting some other ideas, too...
I'll see if I can rework it a little, & get back with you.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
If I am reading that right your grid is 2"/square. Which means your loop over the current river/future mountain will be a relatively tight 12" radius. You may want to consider widening that portion of the '8' so it goes over the 4 sister's branch line.

Overall it looks like a straight-forward simple plan with high degree of "do-ability." Good luck!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Charlie that plan looks great, in fact it reminds me of my very old "Raton Snake Valley" in H0 (Taken down 1994) here it is.

pl16.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey,
I'm not gettin' anything done anyway! :D :D
It's Derby weekend...that's my excuse...:p

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
You may be right Tyson.
Nothing in the drawing, besides the overall dimensions, & the loop radii, is to scale...
I DO know that if I built this as shown, I would have to use curved turnouts for the passing siding.
The way the switching area is laid out is very vague, & certainly not to scale.
This is the way I always plan a layout...it's just enough to get the construction off the ground, & then I kinda figure out what I'm doing while I build the layout. (I had to completely re-lay all the track on my current layout, because after I got it up & running, I decided I didn't like it) I guess this is a real half-a--ed way to do things, but that's pretty much the way I operate! :)
I appreciate your input on the turnouts, though.
I use peco turnouts too...(probably the only kind I'll ever use)
What I usually do is, get a couple of turnouts, & just kind of place them around, & maybe draw some lines on the table top, just to see what will fit, & what won't.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Tyson,
I would, of course, prefer a wider radius, but my thinking on that was that the smaller radius would allow slightly more straightaways, & more flexibility working in turnouts...(I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a switching nut! :D )
But like I said...none of this is carved in stone...a wider radius may work in the end! :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Gang,
Well, with scoobyloven's 86,000 sq. ft. barn in the works, I got inspired to clean out my big 36 sq. ft. corner...! :)
Here's a picture of the area right next to my current layout, where I hope to eventually build something like what I sketched earlier in this thread...this is my idea of a good spot, because I've got a stud wall, & firring strips to work with...

Attachments

• mvc-034f.jpg
    mvc-034f.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 251
C

Catt

That corner is no good Charlie. It's empty.Get some railroad in there and quit slackin'.:D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah...
I've kinda got myself into a rut...In technical terms, it's called a J-O-B...try to avoid these if possible...they can really interfere with your modeling! :D