Another idea for the Laggan Sub!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just got another idea for my layout, I'm going to put in the double track in between Lake Louise and Stephen. Trains usually run on the north track going west, (there is less of a grade on it, about 1%) and the south track heading east. (about 2%) It means taking up about 70 feet of track on the second level, but I'll be able to run trains in each direction at the same time. The real double track is long enough to hold about 3 or 4 trains, and I'll be able to do the same thing on about 70 feet! Almost the entire upper level will now be double track. Sometimes, they will stack 3 eastbound trains up on the south track, waiting for an westbound intermodal. My last trip, I was lucky enough to be that hotshot train! I'll keep you updated on the progress as soon as I start on it!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think it will add alot of operating interest. That's what I'm going for with this layout too, operation! It will look cool to see 2 trains pass each other doing track speed, 1 on the high track and 1 on the low track. Here is a link to the thread where I have pictures of the layout already posted.
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=102663#post102663

Here are the only 2 pictures I've taken so far of the double track, I'll try to get some more the next time I go out there in the daytime! As you can see, there is quite a difference in height between the two tracks.

Attachments

• June 17 029.jpg
    June 17 029.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 347
  • June 17 030.jpg
    June 17 030.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 344

Secret Weapon

Jan 2, 2004
E-L Country,NJ
Visit site
Hey Mike,
By the time your layout is finished,you'll be ready to retire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :wave: :p I can see things are going good with your new job :thumb:As I saidd elsewhere,you've got more scale miles than CN!!!!!!!

northcornice

Jun 20, 2004
Sudbury, Ontario
Hi All,
First time poster, have been lurking for a month or two...

I have been following this thread and your layout thread with great interest as I both lived and worked in Lake Louise for approx 9 years ('88-97'). Currently in the early planning stages of building a module of the LL Station and general area around 1920-30's (N-Scale).
You may want to have a look at www.cpsig.ca
This site has a document library with a wealth of info on CP Rail-scanned docs, blueprints, etc. There is a file called lake_louise_project.pdf that explains the grade reduction, and has a topo map of the new line. The site is NMRA non-profit SIG.

I really enjoy reading and looking at the photo's of everyone's layouts on this forum, and hope to post some pictures of my work when i get to the building stage. I also like the atmosphere here.

Cheers,
Northcornice

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge northcornice! I'll take a look at that site, I'm going to try to get as many pictures of the area as I can, but will have to work within the limitations of the benchwork, it's only 1 foot wide on my upper level, but I think I should be able to make it work. We will all look forward to pictures of your layout. The area around Lake Louise is really inspiring, isn't it?

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Okotoks, Calgary AB Canada
Visit site
Mike,

??????

I'm confused.....easily done.....I thought you were doing away with Lake Louise and renaming it???? Also, if you are keeping LL, then isn't the double track only from your esisting LL to the top of the spirals???

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'll post a track plan of what I'm going to do. But here it is Owen, the siding at the top of the spiral tunnels will become Stephen, where the double track starts, and it will continue all the way east almost to Exshaw. That will give me the 70 or so feet of double track, I'll just have a jump from Lake Louise to Exshaw in about 15 feet, but there will be a telepost I have to go around, so that will be where the time warp is! I'll see if I can get a track plan posted today.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Mike,
Uncle Pete did the same thing, in 1953. The original doubletrack transcon up Sherman Hill is on a 1.5% grade. Mos trains back then were so large, they had to doublehead Big Boy/Challenger locomotives! Even the big 4-8-8-4's couldn't handle the tonnage unassisted.
So they built a third track out of Cheyenne, on a .8% grade. It crested the Front Range of the Rockies and joined the original #1/#2 tracks at Dale Junction.
It's been done, and allows you to run more protypical operations. UP runs the heaviest, and most underpowered trains up this grade. Spectacular scenery, and long trains clawing their way up the grade.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
No, I'll wait till after the big op session! I don't want to have things torn up when Sandro and gets here! And if I start now, it might not be finished by Friday. See you on Friday! And anyone else who will be in Calgary on July 23, send me an email, ( SD90@shaw.ca ) I'm planning an operating session, if you can make it, your welcome to come by!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ok, here is a scetch of what I'm going to do.
I don't know if you can read the elevations or not, but the back track will have about a 2.3% grade, and the front track will only have about a .5% grade, I might change that so that it is more prototypicl too, closer to 1%, The construction on the new line should start in about 2 weeks.
This will make the track climb from 40" at Field to 65" at Divide, (which is directly above Field, a scale 333 feet) in about 150 feet. (a scale 4.5 miles) The sidings at Cathedral and Stephen are flat, everything else is on a fairly steep grade. (above 2.2%) It should be fun to see how this effects train operation! I'll need to keep the helpers on eastbound trains right to Lake Louise or Exshaw now, good thing those AC4400's are on thier way! Then I'll just need to find a DigiTrax Super Chief so I can run more than 22 engines at once.

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 166

cpr_boy

Jul 18, 2004
Edmonton, AB. CA
Hi Mike. Great layout. I can see you really enjoy the hobby. I've just started a little n-scale layout myself and I can't believe how addictive the hobby is. Great job and excellent pictures from the Laggan Sub too!

Btw, I understand you work for CPR. How did you start? It would be great to get a job with them as I've always loved trains!

Take care
cpr_boy

lakemaligne

Sep 28, 2004
Modeling Lake Louise Station

Hello there,
for the last two years I have been in the process of recreating the Canadian National Parks in N gauge ,and I intend putting the Lake Louise station on it with the surrounding area.Have you got any up to date drawings /pictures you could send me of the tracks that run into,past and out of the station ,as well as the road into the station and its car park.Do you also know of where I could get hold of "N" gauge models of RV's/campervans/winnebagoes,the type you see in the National park camp grounds.

Thanks,
Steve,
England.