Another Fokker Dr1

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Feb 23, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, I always wanted to build one of these multiwingers. I usually went with WW2 or greater aircraft but seeeing some of the work here made me take the plunge. The next bit was realatively easy, skinning the fuselage framework. It consists of 5 pieces which practically fit perfectly. I have to hand it to the designer on that one, which happens to be Pawel Mitewicz, the same guy that did the Me-109G from Maly. Mike Krol was right, his kits are a pleasure to build!

Attached Files:

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

You can play Red Baron with this one but you'll need an adversary for the other hand for a truly memorable experience...,

P.S. This type of play can only be done in a safe room with a locked door and by yourself. Prevents being carted off in straight jacket to another type of safe room that doesn't have any toys...,
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ted............. I hear ya on the Tri-plane.......... I did one for the same reason:grin:

As far as an opponent............ sopwith made a triplane too! Not much rigging on it etiher Ted:grin:

Ummmmmm Gil.......... sounds like you had to do some explaining once before!:roll:
  4. cbg

cbg Member

I was pleasantly surprised how "easy" it was to build my first biplane. What's nice about the Dr.I is no bracing wires between struts (save for control cables).

I imagine Gil and Eric have plenty of tips for stacking those wings the right way. . .I made a little temporary cardboard jig to help maintain spacing and alignment.

I also have this kit, so I'll watch your build with interest. Thanks!

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Great work as always Ted! I noticed you commented on the fit of fuse skins, has the rest of it been good as well? I know the fit on old Maly's was pretty bad, wondering if they are pretty safe now?

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Gil, have an adversary in mind, same company, Roy Brown's plane. Also what's all this about locked rooms? I just "hide" in the basement until all is clear. Rick, the fit on this is fantastic, Halinski worthy. I wonder if there is a way to get a listing of all the models this Pawel guy has designed, it would be worth getting.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You know, I stumbled onto a web site recently that had information about designers of published kits. It was some sort of massive card model database. Really cool. I know I probably saved the link somewhere, but I'll have to check 4+ computers to see where it is...

8. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

after seeing your cockpit pictures yesterday, I had to borrow your ideas for making the gauges and use it on mine. (I hope you don't mind. .) It worked out pretty good. It is kind of fun to watch someone else building the same kit. You can bet I'll be watching pretty close to see what else you come up with!:-D
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Ted, I found that database site link, and they show 33 models by Pawel Mistewicz. This site is pretty cool. Might just have to sign up to be a member!

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Kool list! Thanks. I looked up this designer and he seems to have done a wide range. I remember alot of the kits he did for Maly, haven't built all of them yet.
  11. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Squint, clench your teeth and mutter.
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I think I have a single malt sitting around somewhere, thanks for the advice!
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wing Mounting

Try wire pins on the struts and matching holes drilled in the mating surfaces. This will limit the problem to getting the next wing onto the pins and aligning it correctly. It takes a little longer (as usual) but the angst of multi-wing assembly is reduced to a pleasant experience of stacking them up...,

14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Aaah, I remember this model :) Yours is looking very very great! Gil, have you seen my fokker? It should be in this forum somewhere. I love how you did instruments. I left them "thin" :)

Moreover, I know a nice gallery with hundreds of quality models :) - hehe, its nearly the same name as rlwhitt provided, but it is a different site! (click " galerie" )
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A bit of slow progress.

It has been quite a few days inbetween building. I just managed a few things for today. The first was building up these skinny WW1 tires. I used the old stack 'em and chuck 'em in the dremel and they came out pretty good. Here they are built up with the covers front and back...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The other small bit of progress was the tail surfaces. Once again this is not your Father's Maly! This kit comes with separated control surfaces. The big PIA was rigging the control lines. It was'nt difficult to thread them thru, it was tough to get the slack out! I used @3lb fishing line painted black. Here's the topside view...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the underside, showing the rudder control and stab control lines, and the built up tail skid. enough for one night, hope to be back to it in a couple days...

Attached Files:

19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great commander! I cant wait to start in on a plane again :D
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Looks to me like you got that control rigging just right!

As always, a joy to behold your build, Commander!:grin: