Another E-Bayer Overstepping the Line????

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Amazyah, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I would like to get some feedback on this fellow on E-bay and the CD he is auctioning.
    In my opinion he has overstepped the lines of infringement just because I doubt he has permission
    from all the designers who's models are on this CD.
    I would like to get everbody else's opinion on this guy.
    I don't like what he is doing, Do you? Should he be shut down?
    Please take a good look.

He says he is selling his 1 model that he designed and all the others are free.
    Yet he does not show his design. All photos are taken from internet sites of other designers.
    We have a few days till the end of the auction to contact the designers, if I get some feedback saying it should be done.
    When I first saw it, I thought he was borderline, but the more I think about it, the more I think, he has gone way over the line.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Just checked him again!
    He has an identical auction going for Star Trek Models. Same scenario!

On top of that he has each auction up twice for a total of four auctions.
    Not one of the auctions show "his model" that you are bidding on.

What a crock!
  3. Stormy

Stormy New Member

Hi Amazyah
    it does not look all that kosher. Since I am not into that sort of thing it does not mean all that much to me. However, you could e-mail him and ask for his own design. And also express your concerns about the legality. But by previous experience, it is a hard job to stop these guys. As e-bay is a worldwide thing, whos laws are dominant. Similar discussions appeared in
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I seem to remember the author of that Millenium Falcon pulling all his models because of people using them incorrectly so if nothing else that one model makes the whole thing illegal. But I did have the same thought as Stormy that maybe this guy ought to be contacted and given a chance to say his piece.
  5. robson

robson Member

You will need to report this to Ebay, maybe they can do something. By the way, do you know where to get Star Wars models? I'm looking for AT-AT.
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

Even if models are offered "free". No one has the right to offer them for sale without the express consent of the designer or copyright holder.
  7. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i think its ok

look ...

al lthe models are free right?he not say thet he is the 1 thet make them right?he just make the hard work for us to download them over the net and celect the models in 1 cd

so he sell the cd with the models in

u not must to bay it

he sell free models colection and tack mony only for is work to colect and burn it

i not see any bed stuff on this

fix me if i am wrong
  8. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Yaniv.
    I think it's important to go to the original web pages where the models are offered and check out their licence to see what limit they have put on their free downloads...I have not done that but such sites normally state while their models are free they are not to be used or sold by others for profit. That's the key. I rather doubt any of the original designers would agree to have their models sold as is suggested by the ebay listing but the only way to verify this is to contact the original designers and find out. It's unlikely, though, that the designers would agree to have their models used in this way, based on what I have normally seen stated on such sites.
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks like I was wrong about the Falcon(see link posted above). Maybe I was thinking of a differnet one or maybe the author reinstated it.
  11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

he ask only 2 dolars for thet full cd

what is the price of CDR ? lets say 1 dolar
    and shipment?

well maybe i am worng but i not see any bed stuff on seling the cd with the free models

the moels are all ready free

and all the logos and the web site addres are on the models file

so its like a promotion for them
  12. robson

robson Member

13. SteveM

SteveM Member

No, CDR's are more like $0.10, and just because it is free does not give you the right to sell them. Profiting off someone else's work without permission is piracy plain and simple.

And about the Millenium Falcon, yes it is available once again, but you are correct that an auction like this cause Shun-Pop to withdraw ALL his models for quite some time.
  14. silverw

silverw Member

Yaniv...What about the designer's HARD WORK! Most FREE models are given with the understanding that YOU go to a certain site to get it. The designer want YOU to see the rest of his site. He also would like your FRIENDS to come to his site to get THEIR "FREE" model, and therefore he does not want you to give them a COPY of your FREE model. He would probably be happy to have you post a link to his site, BUT, NOT a direct link to the model download URL.(which saves YOU alot of HARD WORK, but effectively bypasses the designers websit!)

.... so, ya, I see some BAD, here!!
  15. Kaz

Kaz Member

Took a look, and he does seem to be toeing the line, he clearly states that the bid is for his model, the others are on the cd for free. So I asked to see the model he designed, or at least a small plan of it :) this'll be good!
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank You!

Thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I have come to the conclusion that what he is doing is wrong, whether he sells the CD for 2 dollars or 200 makes no difference.
    If I was a designer and he used my model in this fashion I would be p-----,
    er, quite upset about it.
    I will contact him and ask him about his knowledge of possible infringement of copyright first, just to be fair.
    After that I am contacting the designers of the models such as the AT-AT.
    I am sure they will contact E-Bay and have him shut down.
    Like I said earlier, I doubt very seriously that he has permission from all these designers to use their models to line his pockets.

Again, thank you all for your feedback.
    I am off to do a bunch of surfing and e-mailing!

17. SteveM

SteveM Member

That is a distinction without a difference; in other words "bullsh!t".
    No, this is not good.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I seriously doubt that he had all the modeler's permissions in place to authorize a sale of their models to which the profits go into his pocket.

I would NEVER create one model and put the 4+ gigs of free models I have on a DVD and sell them online for 100's of dollars (if you extrapolate the amount of models - dollars). It's just wrong no if's and's or but's.

One must have express written permission from every party to be able to distribute all the contents provided. I seriously do not believe that ANYONE can get this kind of permissions to SELL models.

I sent the following message to the seller...

I sent the following message to the bidder...

As to the right or wrong of all of this. Without express permission of the author you cannot distribute content in any way.
  19. Kaz

Kaz Member

Having thought about it, you are absolutely right, No one would buy his model (perhaps) but having the 'free' ones would possibly entice you into doing so. He is, in fact selling his own design, on the back of someone elses hard work.
    I did ask him for a look at his model, will let you know what it is!
  20. keith

keith Member

ask him for links to all the models?

alberto and Shun-Pop are the 2 i can think of.
    oh and maybe the horrible snowspeeder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.