Another Dry Weathering Technique

I like to call this technique the Shake and Bake method.

What you do is take a powder such as tile grout or aquarium filter carbon or some other suitable color and put it into a gallon size freezer bag.

Add you item to be weathered such as a piece of rolling stock or a loco shell.

And roll the item around in the powder. Open the bag and remove the excess from the nooks and crannies and either seal with dull coat or apply other colors of weathering powder to it.

It works very well as the following photos will show.

and one lasrt one to show the various random effects that occur

Attachments

• Model Railroad Pics 055.jpg
    Model Railroad Pics 055.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 213
I used a brownish grey tile grout followed by Aquarium charcoal on these three cars to get these effects. Total time to weather all three. maybe 30 minutes.

BTW if anyone could help me identify the type of hoppers these are I would appreciate it as I would like to get about 8 more of them but I am not sure what type they are.

Woodie

hmmmm.... nice idea. :)

But that's a lot of chalk dust scraping to do. :eek: But I do have a bag of aquarium charcoal. It's still in the filter. Don't have the aquarium anymore, as it was built into the BBQ/pool area in the backyard of my old place before I moved.

**makes note** get charcoal out of filter for weathering purposes. :)

F

Fred_M

How about just digging a hole in the back yard, put rolling stock in, cover up, dig up year later, shake off the loose stuff, call it good to go? :D FRED.

dash10 said:
How about just digging a hole in the back yard, put rolling stock in, cover up, dig up year later, shake off the loose stuff, call it good to go? :D FRED.

Don't laugh, I have actually tried something similar. Believe it or not it actually does work pretty well.

I used a bucket with some dirt in it though instead of the yard

Vic

You can rust up steel axles on wheel sets just by putting them in a dish of Clorox and setting them out in the sun for a few hours.