Another DCC ?

tonphil1960

OK I hope I have it now... With DCC you can run any amount of Loco's independently? IN any direction? At any time? Since the Loco's are directed by the internal chip instead of the track. The track only supplies power so no need for all kinds of wiring per section?

Thanks Tony

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Tony,

Have you checked out the DCC Forum? The first thread is a "reference" section full of links to answers to many DCC questions.

I would recommend Railway Bob's "What is DCC?" as extra reading. But to answer your question - the basic answer is "yes", but there are limits to power. And direction (just forward and reverse, sorry ;) :D). The wiring does get more complicated, and you must add power as you run more locos and/or have a bigger layout.

Andrew

tonphil1960

Thanks Andrew I will check out that link!, and the forum..
How does the wiring get more complicated? I would think it'd be simpler? I only want to run 2 trains at a atime but want to leave loco's on the track idle too.

Damn they don't make vertical liftoff loco's?? ^_^

Tony

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
"Complicated" might be a bit of an overstatement...

When your layout gets really big, you will want to add places to plug in your throttles as you walk around, or you will want to add radio or IR receivers for wireless options. You may also need to add in power boosters, but in reality the wiring stays pretty much the same. Adding on is simply a repetition of what you have done previously...

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Tony: "any amount of locos" depends on your system as some of the cheaper ones have low limits. Certainly even the lowest will let you run a couple of trains while more simmer in the sidings.Remember that it's tricky for a single brain to deal with more than one train at a time.

tonphil1960

Yeah Dave, I just want to be able to run 2 at the most, just want to be able to have other loco's on the tracks at the same time and be able to run them when required. At this size I can't get too carried away.

Tony