Another Custom Car - CRP Hopper

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here is my next custom car project that is almost finished. I still have to make the load for this one but that may take a few days with Christmas being right around the corner.

Road: Central Railroad of Pennsylvania (CNJ)
Kit: Atheran 34’ Offset Hopper - Undecorated
Paint: Folk Art Licorice
Dry Transfers: CDS Lettering
Weathering Dry Brush: Polly Scale Grimy Black
Weathering Wash: Grimy Black
Sealer: Testors Dullcoat

After I finish the load I will repost the car.

Attachments

• crp_hop_1.jpg
    crp_hop_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 63

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Excellent job Tom, real nice looking wheels also.
Shamus
wink.gif

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Tom can you take a moment and explain how you do the rust on the wheels. I have done a few but never have they come close to looking like the real thing as you have done.

Thanks in advance for you help.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Ben

The wheels on this particular car are temporary. They are the plastic wheels that came with the kit. I plan on putting P2K metals wheels on it when I get a chance.

I do both the plastic wheels and the metal wheels the same. I just paint the face, back, and axle with Polly Scale Rust color straight out of the bottle; no thinning. I then seal them with Dullcoat.

Just as another example here is one with the P2K metal wheels. The only difference on this car is that I did not paint the back of the wheel or the axle. I only just started doing that. When I do my annual inspection of the car I will paint the back of the wheels and the axles. I also touch up the wheels where the paint may have worn off from use.

Attachments

• mst box car_2.jpg
    mst box car_2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 32

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Thanks Tom - sounds like a well throughout KISS formula. I think I was attempting to get another color into the mix and it become too much.

Just rust - super simple I like it.