Another crazy electronics project

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Ray Marinaccio, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I just got a crazy idea. Put the RC unit from one of those matchbox size RC cars in a small 3V powered switcher. Either battery powered with a charger powered by track voltage of another loco your running or just track powered for DCC users. Use the direction control to operate a momentom circut with a preset top speed. Then hook the steering solinoid to the couplers for uncoupling. Any thoughts on that?
  2. way ahead of u i been testin with RC units mainly on HO though the cupler thing might work but holy cow that is ganna be SMALL stuff and u would proly have to take the waight out for room i will test more and try to make a coupler wonder if a HO couple with cuople to a N gauge hmmmm
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

One day, DCC will probably offer such gizmos as uncoupling, but you guys are the pioneers!
  4. Paul Davis

Paul Davis Member

I've heard of people making DCC uncouplers before. They used mussle wire, which contracts when a current is passed through it, to pull the knuckle. They just hooked up the mussle wire to one of the function outputs on the decoder.
  5. Eric Norris

Eric Norris New Member

6. Ray Marinaccio

That's neat. I was thinking of a way for us DCC challenged ( insert financial woes here) to enjoy this feature. After my son breaks the RC car this project won't cost much.:D Someday I'll have DCC.
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Thanks for posting the link and welcome to the-gauge, Eric!
  8. Paul Davis

Paul Davis Member

9. Ray Marinaccio

Wow! That is a neat way of doing it. It doesn't take much room either. Got to get some of that muscle wire.
  10. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

There's a guy in Texas...

There's a guy in Texas who is running almost all of his On30 motive power with Radio Control and Batteries.

He's been taking Radio Shack Remote control "zip-zaps" race cars and using the receivers and controllers with great success.

Even in the B-mann On30 Shay!

He stuns and amazes onlookers as the shay runs in circles on a table top without any track at all...

If he can fit everything into tiny On30 Critters, it shouldn't be a problem to fit into larger HO locomotives.

The "zip-zaps" have forward and reverse control as well as speed control.

I don't think that he has used the steering controls for anything yet...