Another crazy electronics project

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I just got a crazy idea. Put the RC unit from one of those matchbox size RC cars in a small 3V powered switcher. Either battery powered with a charger powered by track voltage of another loco your running or just track powered for DCC users. Use the direction control to operate a momentom circut with a preset top speed. Then hook the steering solinoid to the couplers for uncoupling. Any thoughts on that?

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
way ahead of u i been testin with RC units mainly on HO though the cupler thing might work but holy cow that is ganna be SMALL stuff and u would proly have to take the waight out for room i will test more and try to make a coupler wonder if a HO couple with cuople to a N gauge hmmmm

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
That's neat. I was thinking of a way for us DCC challenged ( insert financial woes here) to enjoy this feature. After my son breaks the RC car this project won't cost much.:D Someday I'll have DCC.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
There's a guy in Texas...

There's a guy in Texas who is running almost all of his On30 motive power with Radio Control and Batteries.

He's been taking Radio Shack Remote control "zip-zaps" race cars and using the receivers and controllers with great success.

Even in the B-mann On30 Shay!

He stuns and amazes onlookers as the shay runs in circles on a table top without any track at all...

If he can fit everything into tiny On30 Critters, it shouldn't be a problem to fit into larger HO locomotives.

The "zip-zaps" have forward and reverse control as well as speed control.

I don't think that he has used the steering controls for anything yet...