Another Atlas veteran checks in

DougF

Also SF nut

Hi::wave:

I also model ATSF but I'm not as avid as some of you are. I've been here for awhile but spent most of my time on Atlas. I don't post as much as some but try to contribute when I can.

It seems latley that everytime one of my projects nears completion some company comes out with one that is better than I can hope to do but at a price I can't afford:cry: . I feel I'm being priced out of the hobby. I've concluded that I'll do the best I can and settle for that.

I don't get any pleasure from RTR as I've never had a home layout and the building is my pleasure in the hobby.

By the way I model the 1950-56 time period.

Doug

shaygetz

DougF said:
It seems latley that everytime one of my projects nears completion some company comes out with one that is better than I can hope to do but at a price I can't afford:cry: . I feel I'm being priced out of the hobby. I've concluded that I'll do the best I can and settle for that.Doug

I run alot of modified toy and older Rivarossi and Athearn equipment at the club, along with one or two others. Last run night, I was running one of my pets, pulling a 300% better load than when I first got it. As a fellow 'basher/builder was passing me on the lower loop with his creatures pulling their guts out, we swapped smiles that only those in the tinkerers division of the hobby can share. While at the other end of the layout, fellow hobbiests swapped tales of recent purchases and releases to be, we were having a blast running creations tuned and tweaked by us, not some poor shlump in China. Join the crowd, folks like us won't ever get priced out of the hobby ;)

dean

Hey all, checking in on the call board for the next way freight assignment. Got a bit waylayed at the last crew check point but now online and ready.

shaygetz

Welcome to The Gauge from---from a displaced Baltimore/Ocean Cityite. Been a few years but my knuckles are still white from driving 695 a.k.a. "The Fruit Loop" :D

Espeenut

Dave Plummer said:
Phew! This forum and the cockpit of a 747 have a lot in common! Its gonna take a while to figure all this stuff out. Anyone seen posts from Fitch, Albee, Dean or Christian floating around?

I doubt that the Atlas forum will come back. I think it had become a real liability for them. On the up-side it was a very active and responsive board in its time. This one seems more active than the others I've checked. Things will probably pick-up even more now that the Atlas ex-pats are arriving.

Dave
...hey Dave, Fitch is one of the moderators on the Railroad Forum.com, the other forum I've tried out. Problem is, there's also a new member as of today who we've all heard from before, good to be aboard here, looking forward to chatting with all you guys.

Lorne Miller

RioGrande

Welcome Dave,

I'm around yes - but I was out of town between July 10 and 16. I wasn't doing much internet while away. Good to be back though.

basementdweller

Hi guys, thought I would say hello. Good to see so many names I recognize from the Atlas forum, I think that if we become established on this forum why do we need Atlas.
Good to see so many of you guys here, I notice though that Smudgeloco hasn't showed up, sure he will.

RioGrande

basementdweller said:
RioGrande, yes thanks, I was there also but found it just a little too slow.
Glad to have found The Guage.
No problem,

You were asking about Smudgeloco so I answered that. Really both here and Railroadforum are pretty similar activity - at least in the HO forum. Neither compair to Atlas in shear activity or obnoxious people for that matter! ;) I've noticed things have slowed down here and at Railroadforums in the last few days, but heck, keep in mind it's those lazy, hazy, crazy daze of summer. People are on vacation or whatever. Those who still post, are like me and don't have a life! Just kidding.... sort of! :rolleyes:

RioGrande said:
No problem,

You were asking about Smudgeloco so I answered that. Really both here and Railroadforum are pretty similar activity - at least in the HO forum. Neither compair to Atlas in shear activity or obnoxious people for that matter! ;) I've noticed things have slowed down here and at Railroadforums in the last few days, but heck, keep in mind it's those lazy, hazy, crazy daze of summer. People are on vacation or whatever. Those who still post, are like me and don't have a life! Just kidding.... sort of! :rolleyes:

Speaking as a Gauge first and Atlas later person, I find this place friendlier by a long shot (as I'm sure you've all noticed)

More Gaugers tend to be N-Scale than HO-scale, which might be one reason (I'd say 30-40% of Gaugers are multi-scale though)

RioGrande

screwysquirrel said:
Speaking as a Gauge first and Atlas later person, I find this place friendlier by a long shot (as I'm sure you've all noticed)

More Gaugers tend to be N-Scale than HO-scale, which might be one reason (I'd say 30-40% of Gaugers are multi-scale though)
Yep, it's definitely friendlier. I suppose the higher ratio of N-gaugers explains the activity level.

F

Fred_M

I give the credit to the gauge being a friendly place to the owner, administraters, and moderators that were here long before I washed up onto the shore. The gauge was founded as a place for model railroad hobbiest to bond, share knowledge, and become friends. From the onset certain negative behaviors have not been tolerated, and the people that stayed learned to be friendly, cooprative, and kind to each other. Now I use to be a bit of a flamer in my day at another forum, I wasn't afraid to tie in to the best hotheads on the net. I even did it when I knew I was wrong. :) Then I discovered the gauge and seen the great modelling going on over here and the great friendships. People here visit each other and have cookouts together. Man, this is one of the places to be if you want to learn modelling from some real masters. Sure, it's a bit retro because we treat each other as friends, but one true friend in the hobby is worth all the flaming about a gon being a 1/2 scale inch too long that was ever written. I want to thank all the "old timers" for making the gauge what it is today and promise to do my best to keep it that way in the future. Fred Miller / HO moderator

Stu McGee

Pretty neat spot, isn't it Dave. I just joined a bit ago and am waitng for some tools and stuff to arrive in the mail. I like the insight and support of this "crew" some people could take lessons.