Another Atlas Turnout Question

Joshua_1977

Hello Guys!

New to the forum, and working on my first layout. I kind of ran into a problem with my atlas switches. My layout currently has 10 switches. when I ordered the turnouts, I ordered 2751 and 2752. I was going to use under the table switch machines, but decided I would go with the regular atlas remote switches for simplicity.

Today, I purchased atlas 2715 & 2716 remot controllers. when i try to install them on the turnouts, i can manually get the turnouts to go one direction, but I can't get it to flip back. They came with no instructions. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice in installing these things? Do i have to cut the ties on the side of the switch? how does the turnout flip back?

I am about to scrap the whole thing for Unitrack....

Thanks,
Josh

cidchase

From Atlas website:
Atlas 2751 turnout.
"Black ties and nickel silver rail.
Custom N Line Switches are made to be used with the Atlas Under-Table Switch Machine
(item #65) or a ground throw. Unlike the other N scale switches which have shortened
ties to allow for switch machine attachment, Custom N Line Switches have full-length ties.
A double-ended throwbar allows you to place your under-table switch machine on either
side of the switch. Comes with one piece of 19" track."

I would guess that you could make them work,and look fine, but as you see, the parts you have are not designed to be compatible.

Joshua_1977

cidchase said:
From Atlas website:
Atlas 2751 turnout.
"Black ties and nickel silver rail.
Custom N Line Switches are made to be used with the Atlas Under-Table Switch Machine
(item #65) or a ground throw. Unlike the other N scale switches which have shortened
ties to allow for switch machine attachment, Custom N Line Switches have full-length ties.
A double-ended throwbar allows you to place your under-table switch machine on either
side of the switch. Comes with one piece of 19" track."

I would guess that you could make them work,and look fine, but as you see, the parts you have are not designed to be compatible.

Thanks! I will take them back and buy Under the table Machines :)

storm

DONT USE ATLAS TURNOUTS. they are weak. spend the extra money and get peco turnouts and save your self trouble down the road. i stoped useing atlas turnouts about 4 years ago. have built 4 layouts for people sence then and have had 0 problems.

storm said:
DONT USE ATLAS TURNOUTS. they are weak. spend the extra money and get peco turnouts and save your self trouble down the road. i stoped useing atlas turnouts about 4 years ago. have built 4 layouts for people sence then and have had 0 problems.
:confused: Do you find Code 55 turnouts from Atlas as bad as Code 80? Anyone else have good/bad experiences with Atlas Code 55 turnouts???

GRSJr

Absolutely no problems with UniTrack. Even better, it stays so clean you don't have to clean it at all.
That alone rules out other track for me. I've done the track cleaning thing for far too many years. Now I just run my trains.

If looks of the track is an issue for you, see the posts by John Sing and others. UniTrack can be made to look as good as you want.

Palmisano

Atlas Code 55 Turnouts

I decided to use the Atlas Code 55 track system for my new N scale Layout and I have had no problems at all with the turnouts so far. Unlike the older high rail Custom Line turnouts which were much more toylike, the new ones are made much better. They have metal frogs and guard rails and fine spike detail. It seemed to be the best all around choice for realism and price. The Peco turnouts look toylike with tie plates the size of cinder blocks and a totally made up switch point/tie bar mechanism that may work well but doesn't remotely look like the real thing. The Unitrack, well, it's Unitrack... I decided that getting something that had scale fidelity was very important to me and the Atlas Code 55 looked better than the rest I think. You do have to have small flanged wheels though.

You have to get out your small jewelers files and tune them some though. Smooth out the switch points, and all other joints around the frogs etc. After I did a onceover on each turnout. Sometimes there is a difference in height between the rails and the frog that has to be smoothed out. Do this on the workbench with good light before installation. Any time I have a derailment it's because of the rolling stock, couplers, or trucks and not the turnout. Give them adequate preparation and care and they should be fine. So far at least...

vilefileman

Hi there

This one is simple, its wired wrong. I had the same problem. try switching two wires at a time until you get it right.

V