Announcing the HO Scale Urban Scene Website

spitfire

Hi all

I am happy to announce that a new website dedicated to city modelling has just been launched. The site is intended to be a resource for scratchbuilders, traction fans, do-it-yourself sign makers and all others who love urban railroading.

There will be product reviews, a photo gallery (hint, hint), reference material on architecture, transit and urban infrastructure, and templates and building plans.

The site is not 100% complete (and in fact probably never will be) but there's enough there to get us all started.

Check it out at:

http://members.rogers.com/urbanscene/

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Just took a quick tour of the site and like what I see. I especially like the idea of posted prototype pics of industries, signs, and urban scenes for reference and it will be fun to see what modellers contribute to the galleries.
Thanks!
Ralph

spitfire

Thanks for the compliments. As to the HO scale limitation - most of the site, ie all the prototype info, is for any scale. The signs and plans however are going to be in HO scale only. Why you ask? Because it's just way too much work for me to re-create all the signs and graphics and plans in O and N (not to mention S and Z). This is a spare time thing for me that has to share time with the actual modelling and this forum :)
On the other hand, you have a point. Why limit it from the outset? Maybe I'll just rename it the Urban Scene Modellers and hope that some O-scalers (and those other letters) send in some plans and stuff.
Thanks for the feedback. That's why this forum is so great!!!!

C

Catt

You could draw the plans to HO scale but use the prototype dimentions on the drawings.That way anybody with a scale ruler can use them.

Great idea, Spitfire.....

Thanks for identifying a need, and filling it.

Your site will be a good reference source for all of us.

Bill S

brakie

Great site!!! I have always like the idea of urban modeling.While mountains and grades are nice,I have always done the urban style layouts except for a very short live logging and mining railroad.My current layout is a branch line with a urban setting,perhaps a urban industrial branch would be a better word.

I am glad to see more of this style of modeling being done.Kudos to you spitfire for a site on urban modeling. :D :D

Looks like it will be a great site to search. thanks spitfire.

because of some prints I came across as a screen saver that show scenes of the excavation for the new york city teminals,
I have switched gears in my new layout theme and am thinking of going 1900 urban.

If anyone knows of a site where I can find photo's or drawings from the turn of the century of large scale American construction like the Bergen cut for example please let me know.

t.

Drew1125

Hi Spitfire!
What a great idea for a site!
The urban scene has always been one of my favorite subjects to model, & you've put together a great little reference source for everyone!
(I hate to tell you this MR Mag, but that subscription I've had for the last 10 years is starting to look less relevant all the time!)
A few weeks ago, I got to do a little boating on the Ohio River...I took quite a few pics with my 35mm of several waterfront industries...I'm not sure how well they'll turn out, but if they're any good, I'll e-mail some to you, if that's alright.

spitfire

Originally posted by Charlie
Hi Spitfire!
What a great idea for a site!
The urban scene has always been one of my favorite subjects to model, & you've put together a great little reference source for everyone!
(I hate to tell you this MR Mag, but that subscription I've had for the last 10 years is starting to look less relevant all the time!)
A few weeks ago, I got to do a little boating on the Ohio River...I took quite a few pics with my 35mm of several waterfront industries...I'm not sure how well they'll turn out, but if they're any good, I'll e-mail some to you, if that's alright.

You bet! In fact it's more than alright, it's just what I'm looking for. The more people who contribute to the site (whether it's pix, or building tips, or your impressions of products you've bought) the better!
Thanks for the feedback. (Gee, I wouldn't want to put MR Mag out of business :rolleyes: though).

boppa

dont have any pics of it-but lil bro had a complete running subway-under the layout-looked great and was lots of fun `tagging' it
great use for that wasted space (and hides all the wiring too!)

Partsman

Great site, Spitfire.

I think I stumbled into it a while ago, but at that time it was still a work in the progress. I meant to go back and revisit at a later date, but I had lost the bookmark somehow, and couldn't remember the name.

Us old farts do tend to forget things once in a while, and hit the delete keys at the wrong times, on a few occasions too.:rolleyes: