Announcement: My Enterprise Bridge Models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I wish you good luck with the new venture. I hope you have big pockets, I have built both models and I think both bridges are worth buying. I would have bought them if they wern't free.
  2. youve been kind enogh to give them for free so i say good luck let your hard work pay offand im with paul id have bought them too if they went free
  3. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Good luck with it all Skip, I've built a couple of your freebies over the last few months and I think it's about time some reimbursement came your way.

I've never had the time or patience to learn model design, as much as I'd like to, but I can see just how much time and effort is involved in producing a decent quality buildable model. As a builder of those models, I also appreciate a good set of instructions (and textures, etc).

As somebody already mentioned, sure there's a lot of free models out there, but a lot of them aren't thought out, are missing instructions, or just aren't worth the time and effort to build. When a designer like you comes along, and many others on this forum, a builder like myself has no problem at all shelling out a bit of cash when we know what we're getting... a buildable, quality model.

I've also noticed a lot of people seem to jump on the designer bandwagon when they've been unable to find a certain subject, or are unhappy with the available kits for that subject. These people then design and release a "bigger better" version of something. Wether they do this commercially or not, I think the whole cardmodeling community benefits from it in the long run. It's putting more models out there, and new designers. New designers with better designs are going to "lift the bar" as far as quality goes.

I think the only people who can suffer from the abundance of free models out there are the ones who are trying to sell substandard quality models for profit. Once again, this can only do us good in the long run.

Hmm, it's not easy to leave a short reply in this thread is it? :D

All of the above is just my opinion of course, but everyone else was writing essays and that's a bandwagon I like to jump on. :D
    Good luck with it Skip, I hope it all works out for you.
  4. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Good luck from me, too, Skip!

I've also considered doing new, original stuff for sale, though it will take quite a while yet. I still have my real profession to work on, after all. As you said, it's really just a small way recouping some of the time and effort that one spends. It's also a way of affirming that one's work, effort, and talent is worth something; somebody once told me that you cannot expect other people to value your work if you don't.

As for me, as I say in my website, it's just that I like to doodle in 3D... for now! :)
  5. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I think that's a really cool idea!

It's a great sign for a hobby (or any field of interest) when participants, designers and online resources (like Zealot) are interwoven in a mutally-supporting community.

I want to make something clear about my earlier post in this thread. After sleeping on it, I'm worried that I left the impression that I think free models harm or hold back this hobby.

Actually, I feel the oppposite - the free models are one of the strengths of this hobby. I think the challenges facing designers are more due to (digital) card modeling being in its very early days of development. As things continue developing, the demand for more "professionalized" models will increase, and so will the numbers of suppliers. The situation right now is challenging to commercial designers, but I think this is a temporary condition.

Morphing into a digital product is clearly the best thing that happened to card modeling since Gutenberg. How many other hobbies are there where someone can get started and go as far as they want with free products?

The freebies are probably the single greatest factor in attracting new participants. What other hobbies have this aspect? I don't think there are any free plastic models that the curious can sample. You can't try wood-working or oil painting or model railroading for free.

I also love the idea that kids and hobbyists of limited means can get involved to whatever extent they want - including design!

When technology allows for cheaper color printing (bound to happen before long), this hobby will be even more accessible, including to people in developing economies where hobbies are an extravagant luxury.

The digital technology that brought new life to card modeling and makes the free models possible will enable this hobby to continue growing and developing and to be enjoyed for as long as digital information is around.

All this means a future with lots of room for both professional designers AND for-free designers. :)
  6. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Best of luck skupilk. I agree that the amount of time and effort that goes into a high quality model can never really be adequately compensated, given the market, but a little something would always help. I've been a freebie junkie for most of my paper modeling days, but have gladly paid for a few as well, mostly Ebbles stuff, and some from WWG. The high quality and attention to detail is entirely worth it. I've also donated to a few sites that have that option, just as a sort of Thank you. I applaud and support your effort.

Sounds like enough folks here have considered this, and are at the point in their design skills that they feel they're almost ready to "go commercial" too, but have been reluctant for one reason or another. Maybe we need a business forum, or a thread to help those who are interested in discussing the business aspects of this hobby. It might be beneficial, informative, and spirited (especially w.r.t. copyright discussions). Maybe those who are serious could combine their efforts, enhance the overall capacity to market their wares by going in together on a marketplace site...just a thought.
  7. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I have to say. When I started this thread, it was mainly just for me to inform Ebay patrollers that my models would start to appear there soon. Kinda like, "Don't worry guys, it's only me.". :)

But the response here is great! It's nice to hear what people think about going commercial, and their views in general about free and commercial kits. Also, the encouragement I've recieved has been really touching.

Basically, I want to say, "Thank you all.". I love it when a good converstaion comes along and we all get talking about something, it feels like a community. :)
  8. Gearz

Gearz Member

To true Skip, and its clearly an emotive issue with many members. There has certainly been some very interesting insights, opinions and ideas expressed about the subject. If time permits and your willing, I'm sure many of us would be more than interested in your experiences with your commercial foray. Perhaps in a purpose oriented thread as Hot4Darmat suggested..?

Oh.. just one paragraph.. Nope.. not for this thread...

Speaking from an amateurs designers ( or should that be a Lover of labour..?) point of view. I agree that free kits are a MUST for the health of the hobby, and I'll certainly continue to offer them myself However, I can understand why Skip would want to go commercial ~ its the perfect bandage for a haemorrhaging wallet. Alas, from some of the previous observations and comments, breaking into the 'big time' seems a daunting task to say the least. As was pointed out further back, the hobby is in a unique situation, and definitely in a state of flux at the moment. Regardless of your personal stance on the matter, one thing is for sure, the opinions and activates of the members (and guests) here will have a great deal of influence over how it all unfolds.. ( pun intended :mrgreen:) er-go, a little bit of financial support will go a long way, or to put less diplomatically "Start cracking open your wallets you stingy B******* !"

ThunderChild ~ You asked about donations? Perhaps some may prefer not to divulge info in fear of disclosure about popularity/ success. I doubt anyone could have fared worse than me, so I can chime in with experiences from the bottom end of the scale at least.

*Please keep in mind that even though they are sorely needed, the Donations aspect of site was/is a half hearted attempt, and I'm not deluded enough to think that most of my offerings aren't of err... fringe interest. So the results thus far aren't surprising. Not to mention I'm of the belief that its a rather futile request ~ goes against human nature. "FREE" being the second most powerful word in the English language... after the 'S' word..

Drum roll...

Donations = 1 ...yep that's O.N.E

And that was from another designer here on the boards! ( Thanks mate :thumb:) Thankfully, and ironically, it bought me some addition bandwidth ~ so I could get my site back up and running ~ in order to hand out more free stuff !. * In a beer fuelled fit of despondency, I'd created a new splash page that 'highlighted" the Donations button, fortunately in a sober moment I realised a law suit from the epileptics foundation would not be helpful at all.

There you go TC, It could only go up from there..

Sorry for baring my sole on your parade Skip . Hopefully it might give a few ppl something new to think about and add a modicum of support for your commercial venture.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

My wallet has been cracked open,but in a slightly different manner. Details later.:mrgreen:
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

gotta love those cryptic posts.
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

I hate a mystery.. can't you give a hint.?
  12. Master-Bruce

Gearz, Thanks for you story buddy.

That's precisely the reason wy I opted out of a donation based way of gettng something in return for the work. I myself have been to websites where donations are accepted, but have not donated a thing.

Makes me feel quite ashamed now when I think about it. :(

Care to share Joe?? :)
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Ditto, now I'm also feeling the twinges of guilt cuz I don't donate. :eek:

Thanks for the info Gearz, for the record, I was only asking for a general thought, nothing specific w.r.t. amounts received or anything like that. You've answered my question in that regard and then some! :p

Hot4Darmat has an interesting suggestion... How about it Mods? :mrgreen:
  14. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Sounds fine to me. I'm in the process of redesigning the current forum layout anyway, so suggestions like this are more than welcome (see here).

Feel free to add any further ideas or discussion on this new forum etc to the thread above and i'll be sure to include it in the redesign. The more input the better, let me know what you all want from it and we'll set it up to suit your needs.
  15. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

In the Groups section, Sellers Sanctuary - Card Models - Groups , there is a group for sellers that requires authentication to enter. No idea what's in it but something like this might be an option as one wouldn't want everyone to know all there is to one's business plan(s). Just a thought. Good fortune and success to you Skip and to all the others.
  16. Master-Bruce

A little update guys.

Over the last 5 days I've had people "watching" my models at Ebay but no bids. Then earlier this afternoon I decided to add the "buy it now" option.

So people could bid stating from £3.00 GB, or Buy it now for £4.00 GB. £4.00 being around $8 US, give or take. Within an hour of me doing that. Both of my Bridge models sold for the buy it now price!!

I'm really pleased. Only time will tell if they continue to get that kind of reponse. It is early days yet. :)

I'm not bragging, just sharing my experience so far.
  17. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Cool. I hope whoever they are, they build the bridges.
  18. Master-Bruce

Too right. In the email I'll be sending them I'll be attching a lin to this here forum too. So maybe we'll be seeing them here?

See? I'm recruiting as well as selling my models! LOL ;)
  19. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

how do you find card models on ebay. when i do a search for cardmodels it gives 0 finds.
  20. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ok found them
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.