And you wanted to model it in plastic?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by rickstef, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

just looking over the May Squadron flyer,

They are advertising an advance order for a model of the Dora railway gun.

scale is 1:35
    parts are 2500

try $799.99 and discounted to $719.99

ponder that one

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member <= This is what your speaking about I take it?

Yep it's a 'biggun' ... I'm thinking it's a little TOO large to be worth the build but the price is reasonable considering what your getting and the target buyer. I can't see many buying one unless your a Museum or own one serious sized display area.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

GPM make or made a 1:25 scale leopold german railgun. Bit cheaper than $719 though.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I saw this sometime at the end of last year and checked out the offer thoroughly
    and I think that it is actually a bargain for what you are getting!8)
    Still way out of my league but definitely worth every penny.
    If I was single, I would seriously have to consider this one.
    One can dream anyway!:roll:

5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Given the limited appeal (due to size and cost ?) one wonders why they went to the expense of an injection mould. Surely Resin would have produced better detail with a much lower tooling cost, and hence a better kit, maybe at a lower price. Or maybe there's more to it than meets my rather simplistic eye ;)

PS. I actually like resin and etched brass, not quite so keen on pl*st*c, so this kit does very little for me. (Just my personal opinion......)
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah ... 1/25? Seeing the 1/35 size... I seriously doubt the paper Dora is gonna work at 1/25. MAYBE 1/72 or 1/100 but sure as heck not 1/25.
  8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Looking at the pictures, I expect that they had to build a siding anywhere that they wanted to use the monster if there was no double tracking in the area. Assembling it for action must have been a major undertaking as well.
  9. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Your original post sums up the reason that I am here!

Or, to quote Joe Sz from "Internet Modeler": "Build what you want, the way you want"

10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Try this one...

International Space Station

Intermountain Railway (IMR) (1/144) - $150, additional $40-$50 for stand, additional $32 for detail set, you can also buy a resin detail/replacement set for about $40

Revell (1/144) - $50

Heller (1/125) - probably more than $50

AXM paper space scale models (1/144) - no known price yet, but I think its more than 10 times cheaper than that of IMR.

MARSCenter (1/100 - up to destiny) - FREE

- and the plastic models' details are no comparison to that of the card ones...

I'm glad I didn't have to buy those models... because with that much money, I may as well build 10 ISS models, maybe more... :-D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.