... and here is my first layout.

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by gerry m, Jan 7, 2002.

1. gerry m

gerry m Member

The Pacific Wilderness Railway was a short-lived excursion operation running from down-town Victoria, BC to Mile 20 up the E&N line. My first layout is a 7 foot shelf point-to-point in N-Scale.

Photo #1 - shows the 7 ft. x 10 in. base with the three areas simulating the whole 20 mile run. From bottom to top: down-town area, yard, and Malahat turnaround siding.

Photo #2 - foam risers cut with a 2% incline on the far Malahat end.

Photo #3 - profile boards in place with the start of the mountain terrain.

Photo #4 - the down-town area with the harbour area cut out and a paper building representing the Victoria station.

Photo #5 - The Malahat locomotive reversing siding area with the profile boards cut.

Photo #6 - the yard area with paper representations of the locomotive shed on the right and a stores building on the left.

Attached Files:

• pwr1.jpg
      pwr1.jpg
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That looks great Gerry!
    It's a great size, & should be fun to build & operate!
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello friend and welcome to the gauge.
    That the start of a great looking modular railroad, I like the bridge area.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  4. gerry m

gerry m Member

More Progress...

...and here is some more progress on this small N-Scale layout.

Photo #1 - Plaster work completed on the left end of the layout showing a canyon depression on the right and a smaller swamp depression in the middle. I plan to have a small waterfall from the swamp area over the rocks into the canyon area.

Photo #2 - The canyon area with plaster work completed.

Photo #3 - The small yard area showing the two building mock-up's.

Photo #4 - The downtown harbour area showing the addition of what will be a three-story brick building. This building used to be the headquarters of the E&N Railroad on Vancouver Island.

Photo #5 - The canyon area with Flecstone paint, washes, rock castings, and scratch-built trestle completed.

Attached Files:

• pwr2.jpg
      pwr2.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

It's looking great, Gerry! And it's fun to watch the layout come together. Keep the pictures coming!

-Rory
  6. gerry m

gerry m Member

A bit more progress...

Progress on my small, first-time N-scale 7 ft. shelf layout has been painfully slow, but some texture has been added to the ground.

Photo #1 - Fleckstone paint added to the canyon area.

Photo #2 - Yard area sprayed.

Photo #3 - Ocean inlet sprayed and rocks added around the bridge piers.

Photo #4 - Acrylic ground washes applied to the yard area.

Photo #5 - Ground washes applied to the canyon area.

Photo #6 - Scratch-built trestle detail.

Attached Files:

• pwr3.jpg
      pwr3.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Looking good Gerry!:cool:
  8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Gerry,
    From what I can see, it looks like you're building the scenery before laying track? Or do you have the track covered while scenicing?
  9. gerry m

gerry m Member

Now that I've got the terrain built with the track right-of-way cut into it, and the bottom layer texture and ground washes applied, laying the track, weathering, and ballasting is the next step.

First, however, is putting in the trestle piers and putting in the trestle so I can establish the track alignment...
  10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Gerry,
    Great pictures! Very interesting technique. I'm assuming you test operated the track once it was layed out on the risers, before you removed it to start scenicing. Getting the track out of the way has got to make scenery work quicker and easier. Are you going to grind the right of way flat, or remove the scenery material back to the foam before re-laying the track?
    You've got my attention, keep us updated.
    Great work,
    Pete
  11. gerry m

gerry m Member

Yes indeed, the trackwork has been tested umpteen times as I went along. I'm using the (relatively) new Woodlands trackbed and I'll be smoothing any bumps along the right of way as I glue the trackbed down.
  12. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

The bgidge

Kewl. Lurv the bridge. I'm gunna attempt a similar one on my next layout.:cool:
  13. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Ha. Yeah, right. You're a NEWBIE? I think not.:D

VERY NICE WORK!!
  14. pierce

pierce New Member

Looks a whole lot better than my first layout. That i have (convenlty) missplaced:D
  15. gerry m

gerry m Member

A milestone reached!

A major milestone is reached - the track is down!

So how come a small 7 ft. x 10 in. N-scale shelf layout is taking so darn much time??

Things started rolling again after I sunk the trestle piers into the ground and got the trestle fixed in place. For the track I am using Woodlands Scenics roadbed and Atlas Code 80 flextrack with Peco turnouts.

Photo 1: Trestle and piers fixed in place

Photo 2: Track fixed onto trestle

Photo 3: Malahat siding at left end of layout

Photo 4: The yard area

Photo 5: The view through the harbour bridge

Photo 6: The current task - painting the track.

A (dark) shot showing the dark primer coat (acrylic) on the ties applied with a fine Micro-brush. Second step will be a dark wash to (hopefully) bring out the tie grain detail. The third step will be a lighter dry brush coat for highlights on the ties. The last step will be to paint the rails with a brown DecoColor opaque paint marker.

Attached Files:

• pwr4.jpg
      pwr4.jpg
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:
  16. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I'm really liking your work Gerry. In particular I like the coloration of your rockwork. In fact I voted for your contest photo because of that and the nicely trimmed fieldgrass. NYC unit didn't hurt.

Gary