And awayyyyyyyy we go!

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
It begins.

The new HO layout.
Here is the corner of the living room (yes, it's in our living room) before the improvement. The plywood and table against the wall are leftovers from my old layout.

Attachments

• layout2.jpg
    layout2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 642

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
And it's upright. WOW is it heavy!!! Thanks goodness the rest is lightweight foam. Or else it may never get back into the corner.

Attachments

• layout10.jpg
    layout10.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 604

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
Here is the overall layout plan.

The outer greenish loop is the lower loop. The blue is the main loop which is 5 1/2" above the lower. The red is the trolly level which is 3 3/4" above the main loops.

Attachments

• new layout.gif
    new layout.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 578

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Mrs. Mac:
That is outstanding work. I love the design of your benchwork! It looks like you'll have some nice storage space under the layout too! I notice that you seem to have "Mr. Mac" stored under there in the 6th photo. ;) Will you have sufficient access to the back of the layout? I would be sure to leave at least some space between the wall and the rear portion of the layout for track cleaning and re-railing equipment.

You are off to a great start! Keep us posted as to your progress. We never get tired of progress photos.

Eric

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi there!
That is some sturdy and well built benchwork! Nice carpentry! You're going to make the layout a piece of your livingroom? Cool! I take it from your track plan that you most enjoy long continous runs, two train operation and probably have a large collection of locomotives (?). Looking forward to updates!
Ralph

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Wow!

Looks real strong! I made benchwork similar to that in my garage... you could literally body tackle it and it won't budge. Great for avoiding derailments from the casual passer-by. :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Mrs Mac, and welcome to the gauge, guess I missed this one.
Great start on the new layout, the baseboards look very good indeed. Hope to see more photos as you progress.
Shamus

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
Well, I managed to get a ton accomplished over the long weekend.

I got the lower loop of track laid, and about 1/2 of the upper loops. I have to visit my LHS for some more track and stuff before I can finish. All that time waiting for the liquid nails to dry gave me alot of time to start painting the lake and the river/waterfall areas.

I took pictures throughout the process and will be posting them soon.

Here's to an operational and partically sceniced layout by Christmas when family visits.

Cheers!!:D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Holy moly!

Any chance of help..? I have been at this for a while now (it's kind of embarrassing how long) and I haven't permanently attached anything to anything else!

Good work!!

Andrew

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
Progress has come along way. Only that progress on the layout has stalled the process of getting the pics from the camera to the computer to here. But they do exist.

Let's see. Since my last post, I'm completed laying the main line and trolly levels. Yeah!!! I'm working on the wiring and control panel now. The layout is functional with the exception on the 2 reversing loops. Can't power those until my control panel is done.

I built a Faller 2-track bridge for over the waterfall area so I won't lose any locos into the river.

I hooked up my new Digitrax system last night and ran my BLI GG1 around the track a few times. I love it!!! The joys of getting all those sounds are all worth the expense. My stable may become mostly BLI one day.

Anyway, I have the mountain partially constructed and glued down. Need to finish painting the interior walls before putting the ceiling layer on and enclosing it (with the exception of several access panels).

The Christmas tree layout is painted and awaiting track and a tree as well.

pomperaugrr, The layout will be about a hand width or so from the wall to allow access for derailments and cleaning.

I'll hopefully get to work on the Christmas tree layout tonight and get that done, so I can concentrate on the main layout. Although I'm supposed to be going to the grocery store, but alas I'm stuck at work because Mr. Mac is still at work and we carpooled today.

See you all tomorrow.
:D :D :D