An Introduction

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
I think that now is the time for introducing myself to the crew over here.

My name is John Lauch (Climax 1880) and I live in Charlotte NC. I am a retired Marine and am going on 70 in July.

I model a very obscure mining and logging line that existed from 1880-1920 in Northern Va. The mine and most of its artifacts are inside of a federal park and is one of the favorite attractions in the park. Of course there is very little left now save for crumbling foundations, a barely visible track through the park and a small amount of written material. I have a story in the works to be sent to Bob Brown at Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette if he doesn't shoot me first (I've promised this thing to him for a while now).

As I said, all is in ruins now so there is lots of scratchbuilding that has been done with a lot more to come!!! (Pray that I retain my sanity until this is finished) If it gets finished and is in good condition I plan to donate it to the Natl Park Svc for use at park hqtrs to show visitors what was done there.

As you can see by my post to Vic about his "air raid" I love good humor.

As Arnold would say: "I'll be back!"

Have a great day

JR

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Welcome JR, it is always good to hear that someone else models the same era I do. :wave:

My (soon to be) layout is an 1880s short line from Southern Ontario called the Credit Valley Railway.

Can't wait to see your pictures.
Of course, as soon as I start a layout (May/June) I will hve to buy a camera :D .

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Welcome to the Gauge JR - I have to agree with the others - Pics would be great if / when you can. :)

If you have any questions to ask - please feel free to do so. :D

Of course, we may ask Questions you can answer, so please keep an eye out. :) :)

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
Thank you one and all

Hey gang:
Thanks for the words of welcome. Happy to be here. As soon as we can decide whether to buy a digital camera or a scanner, I'll be able to send some photos. Don't have much in the way of scenery or track yet because of all the time it takes to scratchbuild everything ...BUT...as they say on tv...watch this space for future developments.

Talk at ya later.

JR

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Welcome to the gauge JR, you have 3 years on me old friend.
Very glad to see another logging nut.
Shamus

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Welcome JR from the deep South and I mean deep....wish I lived on the edge of the woods..spent some time in the woods in Virginia and loved every minute of it ...my woods consists of two very tall pine trees in my garden