An Interesting Question

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Does anyone know where I can get new railroad spikes? I'm just curious because I've picked up more than a few old and rusted ones here and there over the years in my travels, and was wondering if anyone had ever come across any new ones.

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
My neighbour works for the local railroad, and no luck there:cry: , and the manufacturer(Brafasco) won't sell them to anyone but a railroad company:curse: . Thanks for the suggestion though!

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
What if ? you took a rusted but otherwise undamaged spike and soaked it in some diluted muratic acid ? Works good for takin' th' meat offa skulls too

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Good ideas all, I've used them myself, and they work great. I was just curious if anyone ever got their hands on some new ones. At one time, I used to work in the electroplating industry, and occassionally we'd get someone who wanted a spike plated and we'd have to really work on it to get it into good enough shape to plate.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the mine i use to work at had to mantain there own siding and they had spikes in the warehouse ,think they use to buy them from a industrial supply house.

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
All of the suppliers that I've checked want me to buy several hundred minimum, but I can get by with the rusty ones that I've got, and just clean 'em up with good ol' Naval Jelly.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Usually...

...I have found brand new spikes (even in their original barrel) right at the yard. I don't know how "tight" being around yards are now- haven't been in a few years. Seems you get menaced away from the yards I know.

Just my half a penny.

Mark

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks Guys! Sorry for taking so long to reply, but MDG Computers accidentally wiped my hard drive clean :cry: when I took my computer in for cleaning, and now I'm in the middle of getting everything back up and running again.:curse:

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
I was driving behind a railroad MOW truck on the freeway one day, and on a sharp curve at an intersection, a sealed barrel of new spikes flew off the truck and slammed into the guardrail - and exploded spikes. I got off at the next exit and went back, hopped out of my car, put as many of the spikes into the barrel as I could easily grab, and put it in the trunk. I'll have to take a photo of it - the spikes are still in like-new condition, albiet with a fine surface coat of thin rust from sitting in my parent's backyard for a few years (I still lived with them when I got this), but the barrel looks as though it's been used for shotgun practice, as the sharp ends shredded the thin sheet metal.
So if you see a MOW way truck, keep out an eye for loose lading.

Chris

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Better to see a track crew and ask them for a spike..If you don't want to do that then when you go railfaning just look around the tracks.Don't get on the track though and keep checking for trains both ways.

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
I'm not sure about there but here you can find unopened spike barrels all up and down the tracks and new spikes are scattered around as well. Was hit in the head with a new one when I was younger :curse: a few stitches and good as new. :thumb:

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks Guys, I always take every precaution when I'm anywhere near railroad tracks, and I always make sure anyone that I'm with does too. Thanks for the tips as well.:thumb: