An interesting B&O box car of 1867

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by modelsof1900, Sep 27, 2005.

1. modelsof1900

modelsof1900 Member

Thank you very much to you all for your friendly comments. I hope to have same success with next model; it is more complicated than you can see at this small picture. (Sorry, I would like to attach a link to bigger picture behind this thumbnail but I can't edit my old reply. Error is written to Zealot admins already.)

I think that I can build nice looking wood cars but I have my problems working with metal, soldering etc. Because I preffer to use (a small number) brass models my wishes in quality are high and I think that I can't attain this with my know-how in metal working. I know what you have built for fine locos based on industrial models but I'm sure that I can't do same.
    From Bruce Griffin, editor of B&O Modeler Magazine, I did got the idea building a B&O 2-8-0 old time camel back based on an older MDC model - this could be the only way to start such a loco project. But I have ideas over ideas for new car models, I'm not sure that this project will be not reality in next years.
    In time I use for pulling my old time train a N&W 2-8-0 class G-1 brass engine. This may be not very correct but time around 1900 is ok. And old Americans are also very correct locos for these trains. But such models I don't own.

sorry, the second B&O model is gone to friend already. He rebuilt most of my brass models by changing the motors or by regearing and he must got this second model as a small comparisation.
    But with next model (the announced low board gondola) I build one or two models more - than we can read again about this. This model fits also the 1900 era exactly so that it can be used together with 40' cars - and this gondola is with 66' longer than all other cars of that time. I think it could be an eye catcher again. The first parts are glued already.

2. viperman

viperman Active Member

I'm aware that it was for a friend, I was just kidding. I would love something as nice as these cars, but I know I don't have the time, patience, or skills for it, nor could I afford one anyway
  3. ulf999

ulf999 Member

Most impressive!!!!
  4. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

Wow, thanks for linking this in your Gondola thread. It's been really nice to catch up on this equally impressive earlier project. You're a true master craftsman.

5. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Just Awesome!
  6. Excellant modelling!