An interesting application of a hobby...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Stev0, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

My mother works at a small retail clothes outlet which is having some security issues as of late. Right now I am figuring on designing and printing on gloss stock some fake security cameras which with very modest details should appear to be real when you assemble and put in a couple of screws here and there and add a 2-3 fake wires leading behind the wall mount.

Only problem is that I won't be doing it for free and I'm up against fake plastic cameras (*shakes fist at plastic once again*) which ring in on ebay for about $25 for 4 plus $25+/- for shipping. The plastic ones are battery powered with movement and even a blinking light.

LoL... Damn you plastic!!!! *emotes planet of the apes finale*

One design example

Something like this is what I am thinking of and I will use clear plastic with black backing to simulate the lens.

I have to look at cost in materials and time before jumping in to this. I can't see them costing much each if I do it. They did get some signage out of me for free though as bait. =)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very cool idea! How close of quarters are you talking about? If the camera is even 10 feet off the floor the camera does not need to be super realistic. A shoplifter or whatnot is just gonna glance around and look for cameras, they arent going to climb up on a chair and examine it. Get the lens to look realistic and maybe a button or two and you have it licked. If you attempt to get too fancy it will be too expensive and most likely time consuming to a prospective customer with no modeling experience. I think the simpler the better. Just my thoughts though.
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I guess it depends on what your time is worth ? How long is it going to take you to design, and then build 4 cameras ? It would probably take me the best part of a day. Personally, I would charge a LOT more than $50 for a days work. Each to their own of course.

My suggestion would be look for some metal cased cameras and try to mimic them. You might get a better card version if you're not trying to reproduce the compound curves of the plastic moulding.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I think the design would be VERY simplistic with textures being the whole of subterfuge.

I would keep them very boxy looking and since they will be 8' up they would not be easy to judge. I can always use some metal fittings of stuff from around the house.

The idea is that it LOOKS like a camera.

A box housing. A cylinder for the lens housing with several circles of clear plastic for a lens.

I'm waiting on the decision for the go ahead tomorrow.
  5. badgerys

badgerys Member

no matter how simple You keep the "camera" it will cost You more than getting the fake plastic ones.Have seen them here in Australia for around 10 Dollars.Consider the cost of paper printing etc and than add Your time,it would not be possible to compete with something that does look like the real thing and has LEDs and moves.

Just a thought from Down Under

Kind regards

6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Still no answer on spending approval.

Oh well.