An Interestin Day at the LHS

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I stopped by my LHS located in Tire Hill, Pa to pick up some money since they sold a few cars for me. Tom was on the phone and was talking to a person that bought a PE set at Boscovs Department store. Apparently the transformer was dead and of course Boscovs said they would have to contact Lionel because Boscovs doesn't do it.

Tom told them just to bring the bad transformer to the shop and he would give them a new CW 80. He said he would take care of getting the warranty stuff done even though it was not his customer.

Outstanding service from a small LHS.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i did the same thing, i got a PE set online, took the transformer to my lhs. traded me a new one for free, PLUS traded me another 80 watt transformer for another one i had that still worked fine. so i got 2 new ones.

my lhs has a list of the serial #'s of the bad 80 watt transformers. i guess lionel recalled them. i guess the new one work better, but i dont know.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm still no a fan of the CW 80 even though I own a few. I have replaced them all with the MTH Z1000 which produces better smoke for the carpet layouts.

I'm a TPC 400 with two bricks guy for my layout, in fact I know run four TPC 400's. Soon to be increased by three more.

But in any event it is nice to see the dealers step in when the department stores can't.
  4. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Some years ago when I first got into O gauge, I bought a Lionel Camelback with TMCC on ebay. A few days after I got it, it died. Took it to a LHS for repair. They repaired it and didn't charge me a dime. That was the last time I bought an engine on ebay, unless I knew the seller. A lot of my engines have come from that LHS.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Well you so have a swell one in your back yard. :thumb:
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ya i dont like the 80 watt ones, i just ordered an 275 watt mrc