An Arizona christmas

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by ezdays, Dec 24, 2006.

1. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Because of our climate here, we might celebrate the holidays a bit different possibly than those to the north of us. As some of you might know, I write a column for a newspaper in Ohio. Mike and Linda Koewler own the paper and are friends of mine. They kinda let me ramble on once a month about life here in Arizona. I'm always interested in how people live in other areas of this or other countries, as I though you might be interested as well on just what Christmas is typically like around here.

This is my December 2005 column.

Here's wishing you all a Happy and Blessed Christmas, wherever you might be...
  2. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

thats really cool!

I have a freind who lives in hawaii now ( ironically, the navy is moving her to vermont, right intime for most of the winter).

that would freak me out, lol. "Hey, lets go to the beach this christmas! we can make sand angels!"

COMBAT Member

I have lived in Arizona all my life, we are called Phoenicians, and I have to tell you not having a white Christmas is a drag. I have been to the snow, experinced the cold and it just doesnt seem like Christmas with out it being cold. I guess it is true what they say, you always wish you were some where else then where you are.

Merry Christmas
    Have a great holiday!
  4. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

The January before I retired from the Army I was at Ft Riley Ks. I went outside early one morning and found a new soldier, 18 years old, in PT shorts and tee shirt rolling around in the new fallen snow. I stopped him as would any NCO an told him he was nuts and ordered him get back inside and put on better clothing for the weather. He happily told me SGT, I'm from Hawaii, I've never seen snow before!:thumb:

I thought as a kid in New Jersey (Red Bank area) that I had seen snow, then dad retired from the Army and we moved to this frozen wasteland call the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes!

Ah, the many years and great Christmas's past are fine memories!

Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing that article.

5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hey Don, there's no snow here either, in what some have called the Great White North. Some would've been nice for Christmas, or even a lot, but then, it's not like I have to drive in it.:D
    Anyway, thanks for sharing, and I'm pleased that you're still here so that I can wish you a very merry Christmas.

6. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Don, interesting article. Here in the western parts of Germany we only very seldom have snow on Christmas. Most of the time weather is like this year – cold, grey skies, drizzle, fog. The thought of living in Hawaii and going down to the beach and make sand angels really appeals to me :D . Rather than having snow. But "the grass is alwas greener on the other side" and who knows what I would say if I lived in Hawaii? (No. I definitely like it warm and dry, no snow for me :D.) Christmas is what you make of it, wherever you are and it does not depend on the weather. Merry Christmas :wave:
  7. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Nice article EZ days. I grew up in Prescott and it seems more often than not, we had snow on Christmas. Now, in Phoenix, it just downright stinks. We lived in Toledo, Ohio for a couple years and I really enjoyed the 4 distinct seasons. Here, we've got two - summer and not summer. Cripes, my family and I went to the grocery store today and I looked at us and realized... it's the end of December and we are all wearing shorts and T-shirts. Still, think about the other half of the world below the equator... they celebrate Christmas during the middle of summer. And one other thing, Santa in a sleigh with no snow? That's just not right.
    I guess all in all, Christmas is not about where you live and if it snows there, but rather what you touched upon in your final paragraph!
    Merry Christmas!
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I've spent Christmas in many areas of the world. Lived in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years. Had to keep it in the house so we wouldn't offend the locals. We used a bare cotton plant for a Christmas tree one year.
    Lived down your way while in the military and while working at the Nevada Test Site. I missed the greenery of my native Washington state at Christmas.
    Another year I was in Sweden and Christmas was very similar to home.
    Here in western Montana we didn't have a white Christmas, just rain.
    As an afterthought, Christmas originally came from the desert. Our european heritage made it a snowy, cold, green holiday.
  9. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There some very interesting responses here that make you think as well. For example, most of us in the northern hemisphere associate Christmas with snow, but you're right Jim, it all began in a Middle Eastern desert. I enjoy writing about life in Arizona, and I'm equally excited reading about life in other areas.

Thanks all for your contributions.:thumb: :thumb: