Amtrak Photo's

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Chessie6459, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Here are two photo's that I found of Amtrak that were taken back in 2003. P42DC #141, #75, & #38.

2. Chessie6459

Amtrak sitting at the Altoona Station waiting for passenger to board & exit.

3. brakie

brakie Active Member

Matthew,Super nice photos that show track detail as well..
    Thanks for sharing.:thumb:
  4. Chessie6459

Thank You Larry.

Your Welcome

The water that you see laying in between tracks 3 & 4 is laying lay most of the year even when it is hot out the water is still there. There used to be 5 tracks running through altoona but when CONRAIL was formed track number 4 was removed and it is down to the four tracks you see now. The main line running out of Altoona is 3 tracks only.
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

Cool stuff. I remember stopping in Altoona on some trips to Harrisburg about five years ago.
  6. Chessie6459

Thank You Brian. Did you happen to stop at the Horsecurve at all?
  7. railohio

railohio Active Member

If Amtrak doesn't stop there then I didn't. :D
  8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I've been toyin' with the idea of buying the Amtrak P42 diesels and some Superliner cars but (this might sound crazy) unsure what they'd look like on the layout. The engines look...well..pretty futuristic even though they're running around the states now. Anyone run the Kato Amtrak P's and have some pictures of them on their layout? I tried a google search and just didn't find any pictures of these trains on anyone's layout.
  9. Chessie6459

I found another photo in my collection. LOL. This one was taken inside the area where the roundhouse for the K4s is being built. P42DC #52 & #49

10. NSES44DC

NSES44DC Member

Im going to pittsburgh here the first weekend of august. Any hot spots for rr action there guys?
  11. NSES44DC

NSES44DC Member

check Lots of layouts and today when i was researching amtraks capitol and lake shore limiteds..i found a layout that looked n scale running a beautiful pair of p42's and about 8-10 superliners. really neat. Take a look when you get the chance!
  12. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I'll check it out...thanks!
  13. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

How would the water between tracks 3 and 4 look on a HO or N Scale Mainline? I think it would work, do you guys?

I think that it would add more realism to the tracks.