Amtrak Cascades

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Hey guys. I have used the search bar and came up with some okay threads (they have not been updated in a while), but I was wondering if any of you have any news on modeling the Amtrak Cascades. The F59phi is ready to go on my layout, but no consist. Thanks for any help!!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
they sell the talgo stuff out there, and all you need is like a dummy F40PH to turn into a cabbage unit, and you are done.

just search Talgo at walthers. the only problem is they aren't in the matching colors with you F59PHI, so you'll have to paint and or decal them.

i'm thinking of the right train right?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep.. That's what they use on the Cascades trains...

The Talgos do need one more modification: The end cars have roof-mounted aerodynamic fairings which you will need to scratchbuild. Not hard to do though. :thumb:

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Tom: I live in Seattle and have done a bit of work around the train station downtown. The Amtrak Cascades trains only have those big fins for show; they're not really aerodynamic. They just make the single-height cars match up to the double-height locomotives, if you know what I mean.

Trust me, Amtrak engineers probably aren't wrong.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I would hazard a guess that the fairings do serve a bit of an aerodynamic purpose plus cutting down on wind noise. Scratch the first sentence. Excuse my ignorance. I just went to the Amtrack site and read up on the Cascade.. Aesthetic only. Sorry.:eek:ops:

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
The fairings are generally known as "batwings".

E-R Models imports the Spanish version of the Talgo; with the wings added and repainted it ought to be a serviceable model. I know a few people have done such in N scale, but I don't know of any HO kitbashes yet.