Americas Cup boats....anyone????

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by 727engineer, Feb 12, 2010.

1. 727engineer

727engineer New Member

Anyone given thought to the Americas Cup boats?
    BMW Oracle and Alinghi?
    I think they would be an awesome pair of models, but I unfortunately lack the skill required to do the job....
  2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Nice thought. That would be a tough assignment since the boat hulls are not developable surfaces (can't be built from flat panels) and the actual hull lines are usually closely guarded secrets.

Any super-spies among us?

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

how about waterline models? people that are really into it can have a mini regatta in their living room as they watch :)

But yeah - HIGHLY unlikely to get actual keel info, I do happen to disagree about making the hulls though, if we can make aircraft carrier hulls and whatnot we can make a yacht hull ;) although any keel would be killer, it would just take some effort :)
  4. Kai Ju

Kai Ju New Member

I saw the title to this thread and almost tripped over myself clicking on it.
    But I'm thinking more historic, along the lines of the Yacht America vintage of boats.

I'm fairly new to paper craft but would love to try my hand at
    Yacht America, or the Bluenose, if it exists.
    Plans for those are available.....

Kai Ju
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

not a whole lot of yachts out there.... its a good place for development!
  6. Kai Ju

Kai Ju New Member

Yacht America

I did find one.
    Made by Schreiber Bogen of Germany.
    Since I'm a newbie I can't post a link but just Google Schreiber Bogen
    or look in Amazon.
    Very pricey though at $ 29.99 through Amazon.

Kai Ju
  7. 727engineer

727engineer New Member

There is really nothing out there, not even in evil plastics!!
    If i devoted alot of time to one of these, is it possible to make it float?
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

sure is - just need to properly treat it after building :)
  9. mick

mick Member

would be good if there was a Australia 2 with a boxing kangaroo flag on the forestay
  10. twinslet

twinslet New Member

A few years back, I bought a plastic display model of the Aussie 2 (complete with boxing kangaroo flag) through Ebay from a bloke in Australia. It's about 16 inches long and 18 - 20 inches tall. It has a very low level of detail but does include the wing keel. Does not seem that the hull is too difficult to model but I am definitely not a designer. Most of the yacht models are solo rounding boats, not true racing types. Too bad.