Americans get their card model kits from...

Discussion in 'North America' started by JRSeese, Mar 13, 2004.

1. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Where do you get most of your kits? What do you find to be the most reliable and cost-effective source? Ever order direct from overseas?

So far, I have purchased kits off eBay and from Lou at Paper Models International.

2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

These are the card model sources that I have used over the years and all have excellent service. Cost is not much of an issue for me when it comes to my models. I do not tend to shop on price. The reason for this is that it often takes me several months to build a model and when you spread the cost of a model over 200 days of building enjoyment it does not matter if it costs $22 or $28.

My main source is PMI

Lighthouse Model Art/H&B precision card models
    H&B has been selling card models in the US for over 10 years, the web page shows cost in Canadian dollars so make sure you use set the page to show you US dollars.

Marcle Models No fright costs, delivery in 10 days or less, no secure ordering on the net. But you can send you credit card number over several emails.

SPI Shop delivery in less then 10 days

Saul at this is not a true card model store. After Saul reviews a model he then sells it to support the magazine. Saul also imports the wheels, canopies, and etched brass for paper models.
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

In addition to the ones you mentioned, I have had good dealings with

Red Star Models (, although delivery takes a while, and many of the models listed are not actually available.

Hobby Factory (, another Canadian company. Very large selection, cost (which is a factor to me) generally less than Lighthouse's even after the currency conversion. Very quick response to my seems to have been posted within only a working day or so of making the order. I am still waiting for delivery, but they call it snail mail for a reason, and it was a fairly large (read heavy) order.

Don't forget Spishop and Betexa....postage is a bit stiff (especially Spishop), which tends to discourage making small orders, but delivery has been prompt and, except for one package literally savaged by one of our own postal inspectors, very well packaged for international delivery. Spishop's electronic delivery of digital models is also pretty slick....especiallly appreciated for opening up easy avaliability of PModel to an American consumer.

And, there is always Ebay. So far (knock on wood) I have not been stiffed on any paper model purchases, but on occasion the description of the merchandise was considerably overstated. The discouraging thing about Ebay is the massive last-second (literally), automated sniping that takes place. I just wish that Ebay would do as a couple other online auction sites have done and extend the bidding period when bids are entered in the last 5 minutes of the auction. The best mindset there is to use Ebay strictly as a means of maybe lucking into a bargain, and using one of the regular on-line stores when serious about wanting a particular model.
  4. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

The only place that I have bought paper models from is Paper Models International [PMI] and have been very pleased.

You need to get one of their print catalogs as the online catalog seems to have only a limited listing of models. I called and got everything I wanted even though it wasn't listed in the online catalog.

Very friendly and very fast delivery. For a beginner, they have more models than I could imagine ever having the time to build. But I'm working on that...
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I am a very satisfied customer of PMI, Lighthouse, Red Star and, when he has a model that I'm interested in, Saul. All have been VERY good in service and I have never had a problem with any of them.
    I sometimes get kits off of eBay, and there it all depends on the seller. Some are regulars and send their stuff very fast, some not so fast, but, then, I'm usually not in a hurry anyway. 8)
    I have ordered stuff a few times from Monduni in Germany, online, and, even considering the overseas shipment, they are pretty fast too! I probably used some of the others mentioned, if they are online, and don't recall any problems at all with any of them.
    I don't recall, actually, a problem with any of the noted suppliers, for that matter. Price-wise, well, that you have to take a look at on an individual basis, and consider the distance the model will be shipped. For me, in New York, the US suppliers are really very good price-wise, but with Monduni, the cost of shipment is a bit more, but not too bad. The cost might be less, however, to sort of balance out the overall cost, but that depends on the kit. Also, check the exchange rates before ordering to be sure you understand the actual costs, but you probably already figured that out, right? :)
    If there is any particular model you are looking for, I would not hesitate to email any of the suppliers and see what they have, even if it doesn't show up on their catalog, particularly if they are newer kits, because they just might have what you are looking for in stock. If anything, I have found all of the suppliers great in corresponding and providing fairly quick replies on any inquiries, except for some of the Polish dealers where there is sometimes a translation problem.
    Anyway, that's my experience.
  6. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks for the link, John. :)
    They do seem to have a nice selection and good prices. Thanks for mentioning them.
  8. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

eBay observations -

If you do a search such as "paper model -shredder -fax -drill -cutter -folder" you will usually get a good list without too much clutter items. The "-" indicates that postings with that word should not be listed. (You probably knew that.) Excluding those words will leave out all the industrial paper machinery posts. I think you can save the search criteria that works for you so that you can use it again in the future with ease.

Every so often Bezuur posts about a hundred models shipped directly from Haarlem in the Netherlands (they have a good basketball team) They are overpriced in my estimation - unless it's a rare item, get the same models from PMI for less!

On a final humourous note, how many times have you seen the Dune Ornithopter model posted?

9. Either Digital Navy by mail on CD or download form Working my way slowllllllllllly through several of Dr. Zarkov's (quick Flash its Ming's mudmen :lol: :lol: ) and Roman's masterpieces. Not much time too build lately though (but I've got time to do this!!!!!)
  10. Old Ranger

Old Ranger New Member

Paper Model Sources

1. No. America: I've had good luck with PMI, Lighthouse, DeWayne Barrett, Delta 7.

2. Overseas: I do electronic delivery only. Good luck with Thaipaper, SPIShop, Zarkov,

3. EBay:
    - In US: zero problems at all. Great merchants to deal with.
    - You do have to be careful. A recent EBay entry has a $4.00 "Buy Me Now" price, but a $12 shipping charge in the US !!!. Maybe not an outright scam, but close to it. Putting a real "bargain" price on the goods and snagging you on the shipping. Normal shipping cost is 5-6 bucks by Priority Mail - tops. I doubt they charter a Learjet to deliver your model.
    - Always check the retail price for an in-print model before getting caught up in a bidding war for something you could buy cheaper on the net.
    - Sinpers are a pain, but likeants at a picnic - they are always there. I bid what I think it's worth to me and let it go. There will be another one in a day or so.
    - Overseas Ebay: Did once, never again. Too much possibililty of payment being "missed or lost" - to put it kindly. I spent my $5 to find this out and now never do it. Why throw $ away when I can spend my cash on something I can feel and touch - like beer! :lol:

These are totally my opinons and may be one-sided, unfounded, or even (in rare cases) completely wrong.

:D :D :D :D :D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hahahahaha, Remember though, you can buy a card model and it will bring you years of rent beer lol.

(sorry had to throw that in)

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA
  12. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

All three have got my business in the past, and will continue to get it for years to come. Not a single issue, hangup, etc, in many orders.

Then there's all the electronically available models. I've bought from the well known, and several smaller offers, been happy with all of them.

The only model purchase I've been disappointed by is the Maly Modelarz B-24 I got off of ebay. I never imagined anyone could publish something like that and call it a "model". :)

But seriously, I buy off of ebay all the time, and no problems. There's always a couple of shills floating around, but the majority of the regular sellers are also active modelers, and many are members of this and other venues.

I can't imagine I'd have ever been hooked by this hobby if the internet hadn't happened along.
  13. modelincard

modelincard Member

I get most of my models from . They sell single models and CD's (the CD's are cheaper per model, but the models aren't all that expenive in the first place).
  14. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

I have used most of those already mentioned and, most recently, several orders from Paper Model Store located in Chicago. Fast delivery, excellent packaging and many OOP kits.
  15. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thanks for that last post. I have not been here before.
  16. raiwong

raiwong Member

When I am not doing any attempt of designing, I get models from, and ocassionally from Nobi's. In my oppinion, Fiddlersgreen's website is very informative and educational. Non-modelers can learnt a lot from it too. However, it would be better if the connecting flaps or joints on each of their models are separated like those found at Thaipaperwork.
  17. raiwong

raiwong Member

Sorry, I didn't realize this part of the forum is for North Americans. Anywhere, you guys at least now know where I usually get my models from. BTW, I was in Illinois in the mid to late 1980s, and I enjoyed it very much. In my oppinion, spending too much time on the Internet can make one forget where he or she is residing. Perhaps, we should start a poll on where does the every member get his or her models from.
  18. 46rob

46rob Member

IMHO--"the where" is less important than the "what". Different sites cater to different segments of the hobby. I know from personal experience, that FG targets the entry level of the hobby. Chip keeps his models as basic as possible, while striving for as much realism as he can. This means that fine detail parts are necessarily omitted. Others provide an incredible amount of detail. Depends on what you want. I myself am an impatient builder. I want a quick build that does a decent job of representing the real thing. I like small--as I hang them from the ceiling. I need variety--I want a cross section of aviation history and nationalities. Therefore I purchase my models from any source that has what I want. If the model's too big or too complex--paper is easy to modify. If it's a bit too basic--I either look for another source--or upgrade what's available. One of the great things about FG is that it spans the entire era of flight--from the Montgolfier ballon to the era of space exploration. Additionally, each model has a web page full of historical data. Many models come in multiple versions....all at one price. He also includes BW jpeg versions, to make it easy to design your own color scheme.
  19. dovbear88

dovbear88 New Member

I strongly believe in supporting your own, so I've primarily ordered from Dr. Zarkov, Nobi, Fiddler's Green, Flying pig, maybe a few others; But, when I get rich (on permanent disability it's tough) I'd like to contribute mightilly to Ray Kiem (Haunted Demensio0ns), Lower Hudson Valley, Mike Hungerford, Chrome Hounds, Trotskiy, Delts 7 ... to name but a few.....
  20. dovbear88

dovbear88 New Member

I strongly believe in supporting your own, so I've primarily ordered from Dr. Zarkov, Nobi, Fiddler's Green, Flying pig, maybe a few others; But, when I get rich (on permanent disability it's tough) I'd like to contribute mightilly to Ray Kiem (Haunted Demensio0ns), Lower Hudson Valley, Mike Hungerford, Chrome Hounds, Trotskiy, Delts 7 ... to name but a few.....