American Orient Express

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by AL Southern, Mar 25, 2005.

1. AL Southern

AL Southern New Member

The American Orient Express passed through Opelika this morning about 11am. Didn't expect to see it all.

It was southbound on the NS line that runs from Birmingham to Columbus, GA so I have no idea where it was heading. Definitely off the beaten path.
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

What loco was pulling it Al? Must have been a real sight to see.
  3. AL Southern

AL Southern New Member

Two Amtrak P42s. I didn't get close enough to the front to get road numbers.
    Moving pretty fast.
  4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks Al.
  5. trainwhiz20

trainwhiz20 Member

Oh, wow. I didn't catch this topic first time around.

I am a huge fan of the AOE. I have the HO model and everything, with a Dash 8-32BHW ("Pepsi") to pull it. (I know, I know, not 100% prototypical....:rolleyes: )

So, you can imagine my expression when I got my first glimpse of one of the two existing AOE consists. I used to live 40 mins. outside Boston, northward, but for a special occasion, we had driven down to Providence, RI. Driving by Dave and Busters, there it was, sitting in an Amtrak yard! Right there! We were on a freeway, so WE were moving too fast, but even seeing it was awe-inspiring.

It had two P-42's Phase IV, both facing front. I even got to see the New Orleans dome car, which I wish they had in the HO set (they didn't due to the set predated the unveiling of the New Orleans coaches).

Yep. That's my story. I think spotting the AOE is a fascinating experience, just because of its rarity if you don't live along one of its routes.

Congratulations on spotting it yourself. :thumb:
  6. AL Southern

AL Southern New Member

Timely response. I just noticed yesterday that the AOE Antebellum South and
    the TransContinental Routes for 2006 will be passing through Opelika. Just 1/2 mile
    from my house. Now I just need to get a more precise time for their transits.