American Models new 4-8-4

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

American Models just announced the impending release of the Santa Fe 4-8-4.

The new AM Northern is now listed on the web site

A big engine and new to S scale.

2. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

:thumb: Absolutely fantastic!!! Now if we could just get someone to make one
    in HO, I'd be the happiest guy on the block.

Texas Chief
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That is one awesome loco Greg.
  4. WMRR

WMRR New Member

Nice looking loco!
  5. Grant B

Grant B Member

Since I only have american flyer,how do these compare to the flyers in the 50s?
    Will these be be humming along in 2065..... not that I will.
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I would guess they will be running 50 yrs from now. The AM locomotives I have are good basic engines. The AM steam engines I've seen are smooth runners and not fragile. Just a guess on my part though.

7. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

I thought i interesting that AM brought out a Northern at the same time that Lionel is re-releasing a Flyer Northern.

The AM units that our members have run at shows are very reliable and smooth running. The new Lionel steamer is a really nice unit. Good sound system and smoke. Of the two bought by members, one is still running, the other's sound system broke down after two weeks and the only way he could get it repaired was to send it back to Lionel.

8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi Ted,

Not keeping up with Lionel, I see what you mean. AM has been working on this for 3 yrs according to the web site. Lionel maybe playing catch up here this time. Either way, I think AM's model will be better detailed than the Lionel. Another thing, Lionel seems to be anti scale. They won't offer them with scale wheels, and their Mikado was an engine I was interested in. Oh well, their loss in sales.

Greg Elems
  9. West Coast S

West Coast S New Member

You could always turn down the flanges on the Lionel 2-8-2...If I could get one at the right price could be tempting. I do wish someone would do a SD7/9 or baldwin heavy roadswitcher in RTR and keep the price within reason. AM has a good deal for the 4-6-2, too bad I have no use for one.